none
GetPhysicalDescriptor API RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts:

I'm trying to call HidD_GetPhysicalDescriptor from an user mode app on Windows 10. The return value is always error code 31 (a device is not functioning ...). I used same device handle for other API like HidD_GetProductString and it works fine. Any thing I might have missed ?

Thanks in advance.

leo

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 11:13 PM

Answers

• You can capture a usb etw log trace if you want to see if it is a device error. There are very few devices that’s vtually report a physical descriptor. Are you sure your device reports one ?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by SJ-Hills Wednesday, August 1, 2018 10:51 PM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2018 1:20 AM
  • That API is just a wrapper around DeviceIoControl using IOCTL_GET_PHYSICAL_DESCRIPTOR, so there may be something wrong with the device. Try it with another device on a different hub

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 11:53 PM

All replies

• That API is just a wrapper around DeviceIoControl using IOCTL_GET_PHYSICAL_DESCRIPTOR, so there may be something wrong with the device. Try it with another device on a different hub

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 11:53 PM
  • You can capture a usb etw log trace if you want to see if it is a device error. There are very few devices that’s vtually report a physical descriptor. Are you sure your device reports one ?

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, August 1, 2018 1:20 AM