none
Debuging a WinCE for Motorola MC3190G without the scanner RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I was wondering if I can debug a winCE built for our Motorola Scanner MC3190G without connecting that scanner to my computer.

our app calls Motorola API Scanning functions such as InitiatRead, startRead, stopRead, etc...

when I use VS emulators, I get an error because these functions are using a native dll that is only on the scanner (WinCE 6.0).

is there an emulator that I can use for this?

Thanks

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 12:12 PM

Answers

• if you device has supported  drivers for all your peripheral with WinCE( confirm with Motorola) and if you are going to write custom application you can go for windows CE, this is cost effective.

But Here you have to get SDK from motorola for the application development and there is no common SDK available like WM 6.5.

for WM 6.5 you use the common SDK available in MS website. But the device cost should be more (which includes the license cost of WM 6.5 which is higher than CE 6.0).

you can ask these cost differences to Motorola for CE 6.0 and WM 6.5 for the same device. if it is acceptable for you you can choose WM 6.5 which has its own rich GUI.

All depends on  your design, cost etc....

Vinoth.R

www.e-consystems.com

http://vinoth-vinothblog.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by RobbieDotNet Monday, April 29, 2013 1:56 AM
    Friday, April 26, 2013 9:48 AM

All replies

• Since these are device specific APIs, you can't get it in emulator. Emulators supports only generic APIs supported by WinCE 6.0.

Vinoth.R

www.e-consystems.com

• Proposed as answer by Michael Koster Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:50 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 1:14 PM
  • Hi Vinoth,

Thanks for your reply. So I should not bother for searching for an emulator or a simulator to test that API. I will debug it on the scanner. I am not sure why Motorola don't have a simulator. they should work on delivering such a simulator to developers.

I have another question. We just bought the Motorola MC3190G and this scanner can come with winCE6.0 or windows mobile 6.5

what do you recommend wince 6.0 or windows mobile 6.5?

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:28 AM
  •  what is your final target with this device? if you are planning to write your own target application with custom GUI and not going to use shell (explorer) than you can go with wince 6.0.

if you target device is a generic handheld and you are planning to use the existing GUI and only going to provide small application that can run on the shell means you can go with WM 6.5 which is rich in GUI.

your question is design specific.

Vinoth.R

www.e-consystems.com

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:41 AM
  • Hello Vinoth,

we are going to build an application for our Receiving Department. they will be scanning the purchase order barcode, the parts barcode, and quantity and then save the data in the database. We wrote a winCE and it works very well. But I was wondering what platform we should choose. we are going to build other applications for different departments. so what do you advise to choose?

Thanks.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 12:58 AM
  • if you device has supported  drivers for all your peripheral with WinCE( confirm with Motorola) and if you are going to write custom application you can go for windows CE, this is cost effective.

But Here you have to get SDK from motorola for the application development and there is no common SDK available like WM 6.5.

for WM 6.5 you use the common SDK available in MS website. But the device cost should be more (which includes the license cost of WM 6.5 which is higher than CE 6.0).

you can ask these cost differences to Motorola for CE 6.0 and WM 6.5 for the same device. if it is acceptable for you you can choose WM 6.5 which has its own rich GUI.

All depends on  your design, cost etc....

Vinoth.R

www.e-consystems.com

• Marked as answer by RobbieDotNet Monday, April 29, 2013 1:56 AM
    Friday, April 26, 2013 9:48 AM
  • I am not sure you can test your app without real scanner.

IMHO this is lost of time.

As I mentioned last available version from Motorola/Symbolhas support only WinCE 4.x

Therefore you should have real device.

Friday, February 21, 2014 12:14 PM
  • Hello RobbieDotNet, Can you please give me what development tools you have used for wince development? I am looking to build a similar application of counting inventory using a custom application? Any insights for quick development and do you have any sample code? Thanks,
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 4:54 PM