none
Microsoft WOPI RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are looking for a way to integrate Office Online (Excel, Word, etc...) into our web application. Looking at MS WOPI, we can see that it allows editing Office files and all. Apart from that, does it provide a way to read Office file(s) without opening them? ie, read the file and return a JSON response for the file's content?

We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Regards,

Hien

Thursday, July 25, 2019 1:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Hien,

Thank you for your question.  An engineer will contact you soon.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Thursday, July 25, 2019 3:47 AM
  • Hi Hien,

Are your requirements to integrate with Office in the cloud or the Office Online Server on-premise deployed product? This forum can help you with WOPI protocol questions when integrating with the on-premise version of Office Online Server. 

Please take a look at the FAQ post for this forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8ed5b708-9edf-4839-a13f-e93e59396ff1/wopi-host-implementers-please-read?forum=os_office

Here you'll find information for our Cloud Storage Partner Program if your requirement is to integrate with the Office (Online) cloud product or Office 365.

To answer your basic questions about WOPI for both of these products, yes, the WOPI protocol is used to allow a file server host to provide file content to the Office web applications to be viewed and edited in a host web app page inside an iFrame. The assumption is that you are willing and required to build the file server or repository for the files that will viewed (similar functionally to what Sharepoint and OneDrive do). 

You can see a sample file host that supports the WOPI protocol here: 

https://github.com/microsoft/Office-Online-Test-Tools-and-Documentation/tree/master/samples

And the following documentation will give you some helpful information about integrating with Office (Online): 

https://wopi.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Please let me know what your target Office product is for integration.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Thursday, July 25, 2019 5:57 PM
  • Hi Tom,

In regards to the two products that you mentioned earlier, i.e. Office in the Cloud and Office Online Server On-Premise Deployed Product, we are struggling to find explanation about them. Could you please provide us with some links or a short description of differences between the two?

Below is what we are after, would you be able to tell us which product would suit our requirement? Your response is very much appreciated:

1/ Users can store files on their Office 365 storage, under their company accounts.

2/ They can load, view, and edit the files; All within the confinement of your in place web editing system placed inside our application (IFRAME).

3/ We need ability to list those files, per account.

4/ We need ability to read JSON of file content without opening it in browser. For example, we need access to spreadsheet cell values, programmatically.

Regards,

Hien

• Edited by HienKradle Friday, July 26, 2019 6:30 AM
    Friday, July 26, 2019 6:25 AM
  • Hi Hien, 

I'll address your requirements: 

1/ Users can store files on their Office 365 storage, under their company accounts.

[Tom] The WOPI protocol (covered in this forum) is designed to allow storage providers (think Sharepoint or OneDrive replacement implementers) to be the repository for the files, provide the account management wrt files, provide the content of the files to Office web applications for viewing and editing in the storage providers' web application in an IFrame. Having said that, feasibly you can use any backing storage behind the WOPI host implementation, which could possibly include a Sharepoint file repository. How the WOPI host stores and retrieves the files is not prescribed by the protocol. 

2/ They can load, view, and edit the files; All within the confinement of your in place web editing system placed inside our application (IFRAME).

[Tom] This is indeed what the WOPI protocol is intended to enable when working with the Office web applications.

3/ We need ability to list those files, per account.

[Tom] In the WOPI protocol, that is the responsibility of the WOPI host implementation, similar to Sharepoint's responsibility.

4/ We need ability to read JSON of file content without opening it in browser. For example, we need access to spreadsheet cell values, programmatically.

[Tom] The files provided by the WOPI host to Office web applications via the WOPI protocol (GetFile and PutFile) must be in a format that Office web applications (i.e. Word, PowerPoint and Excel) understand. Therefore, they must be in the formats listed in discovery.xml returned by Office web application server (i.e. http://<officewebappserver>/hosting/discovery). If the WOPI host implementation needs to read JSON, it will have to convert the contents of these files into that format. Typically, the formats used are the default Office app formats like .docx, .pptx, .xlsx. 

SDK's exist to help programmatically access the Office formats for the purpose of conversion (and other reasons). One is: 

https://github.com/OfficeDev/Open-XML-SDK

There are others. 

Having said all this, if you choose to use the cloud Office web apps and not the "on-premises" deployment of Office Online Server, you will need to work with the Cloud Storage Partner Program.

I hope this helps. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Friday, July 26, 2019 7:19 PM
  • Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for your time addressing our requirements in detail. Very much appreciated.

At this stage, we are targeting Office Online Server On-Premise Deployed Product for the integration.

In regards to the documents on how to implement our WOPI server/host for the on-premise product, are they different from the cloud product or are they the same? If the former, would you please share with us some links on those?

We've purchased Office 365 subscription, are we qualified for setting up our Office Online Server there? Any links for contact details for this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance Tom.

Regards,

Hien

• Edited by HienKradle Thursday, August 1, 2019 5:14 AM
    Monday, July 29, 2019 3:46 AM
  • Hi Hien:

Currently Tom is not available. I'll help you with this issue and will be in touch as soon as I have an answer.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Monday, July 29, 2019 9:04 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Team,

Does WOPI provide a way to filter files based on the file names? I can see from the Container Operations, there's a method called EnumerateChildren, but it seems to provide filtering by file extensions only.

(https://wopi.readthedocs.io/projects/wopirest/en/latest/containers/EnumerateChildren.html)

I can see some optional properties from the CheckFileInfo. Can I use some of them for filtering purposes?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Regards,

Hien

• Edited by HienKradle Thursday, August 1, 2019 5:11 AM
    Thursday, August 1, 2019 3:03 AM
  • Hi Hien:

I am looking into this and will be in touch as soon as I have an answer.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Thursday, August 1, 2019 5:45 PM
    Owner
  • Hien, 

>>In regards to the documents on how to implement our WOPI server/host for the on-premise product, are they different from the cloud product or are they the same? If the former, would you please share with us some links on those?

[Tom] If you are targeting on-premises deployment (i.e. Office Online Server), then you should use [MS-WOPI] as your authoritative specification for your WOPI host server. The wopi.readthedocs.io site is a good help and refers to the [MS-WOPI] document but is targeted primarily at our Cloud Partners. 

>>We've purchased Office 365 subscription, are we qualified for setting up our Office Online Server there? Any links for contact details for this would be greatly appreciated.

[Tom] Office Online Server is available only through our volume licensing center, see this article: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/officeonlineserver/office-online-server

Hope this helps, 

Tom

Monday, August 12, 2019 8:50 PM
  • Hi Hien:

Can you please provide more details about the use case for which you need the filtering based on file name?

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Thursday, August 15, 2019 7:38 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Hien:

MS-WOPI does not support filtering files based on names. The support for file filtering is what is described in the document.

Please let me know if it does not answer your question.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 4:23 PM
    Owner