none
design and maintenance problem RRS feed

• Question

• I am running into a design and maintenance issue. Any comment can be helpful.

I am redesigning a auto insurance company quoting system in c# and basically start from a scratch.  Each vehicle type will have different pricing, of course. I have a base class – Quote and different vehicle quote type will derived from the Quote, such as SUVQuote, SedanQuote, etc.

Ok, here is the problem.

The company has many different (the images and product names) web sites selling the same insurance products in different names and price.

Should I generate a single assembly dll which contains all the base class and derived classes and deploy it to every site.

Or should I separate the base class and derived classes into different dlls, then copy the base class dll to the GAC and the derived class dll into the site.

This is my first project that needs to handle such situation, so any suggestion can be very helpful.

Does anyone have any suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Saturday, April 22, 2006 3:34 AM

All replies

• In the current stage, if there's no conflict between the classes needed for each site- all Quotes have the same behaviour and properties on all sites- then I think building one dll is the easier solution here.

For the future, if  different behaviour was needed for each site, dll versioning can be used, where you resterict each site - or group of sites - to a subversion of the dll.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 12:57 AM
  • please help me get my msntb toolbar back on track
    Tuesday, April 25, 2006 1:34 AM
  • name and price are attributes of the quote - you don't need a new assembly for that just different initialization values

Also different data values do not seem a sufficient reason to have different classes - if the behavior is the same just put the car type as  an attribute

If you also need central management then you may need additional attributes on the quote to identify which site is involved and to manage the site/prices matrix

Arnon

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 10:08 PM