[UWP][Desktop Bridge] license problem after change of motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• I have a converted desktop app that sells in the store for a few months. Recently a customer contacted me to report that after a change of MOTHERBOARD in his PC, the license of my app doesn't work. The error is "clip license device id does not match the device id in the bound device license".

It is not clear whether my converted app is the only one that shows this problem

A plain uninstall then reinstallation of the app didn't change anything, still shows this error:

What can I do to help this customer?

• Edited by deskrule Tuesday, October 10, 2017 10:02 AM
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 10:01 AM

All replies

• Hi deskrule,

>>It is not clear whether my converted app is the only one that shows this problem

I think you should contact the user to make sure whether the other UWP apps(installed before changing the MOTHERBOARD) have this issue in his device after changing the MOTHERBOARD. This seems the issue of his device.

Best regards,

Breeze

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 7:20 AM
  • I am trying to get this information from the (slow responding) customer but I thought that the store license allows installation of an app on 2-3 devices, isn't it? So even if the motherboard change is considered a "new device" it should allow running the application?

this sounds like a fishy error and I wonder whether it is something to do with the "desktop converted" nature of my app.

Thursday, October 12, 2017 6:43 AM
  • Hi deskrule,

There is no enough info for your this issue, we can not make sure whether it is relative to desktop convert.

Best regards,

Breeze

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Breeze Liu Friday, October 13, 2017 7:47 AM
    Thursday, October 12, 2017 7:30 AM
  • at any rate don't you think that this paying customer deserves a solution to his problem? He bought a license last spring and now he cannot use the program. This is something that the Store should sort out automatically rather than me having to chase it like this in public forums!?
    • Edited by deskrule Friday, October 13, 2017 7:33 AM
    Friday, October 13, 2017 7:33 AM
  • Hello deskrule,

This error isn’t directly related to the your app.
    It sounds like the end user has broken the Windows license for the PC. It was probably an OEM license tied to the Motherboard. This is not an app dev issue and not something we can help with. The end user can contact Microsoft Windows Support directly to see if the system can be recovered.

Best regards,

Breeze

MSDN Community Support

• Edited by Breeze Liu Monday, October 16, 2017 2:25 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Breeze Liu Wednesday, October 18, 2017 1:31 AM
    Monday, October 16, 2017 2:24 AM
  • I am getting the exact same error and I've done nothing.  I have changed no hardware.  I haven't used it somewhere else.  I am not pulling any crap.  It just up and quit working.  It has worked fine forever and today I get this error and can't get any help with it. 

Microsoft referred me to the app developer and they dont seem at all interested..

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 7:50 AM
  • I'm having the same error here. I'm running Windows 10 on a new Intel NUC. The NUC died and Intel sent me a replacement. I moved my SSD boot drive to the new machine, but now I'm getting this error. Can't find any information about it exact this page. Can anyone help?? Thanks

Saturday, August 10, 2019 12:51 AM