none
Excel 2016 bug: the Excel window shows no content at startup if an XLL is registered RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

This is an attempt to sum up the discussion at https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/2bb21bfb-4940-4a68-9656-743ae0b8b4da/bug-in-excel-2016-excel-starts-with-no-default-workbook-or-start-page-if-an-xll-is-registered?forum=exceldev. I've spoiled that discussion at least twice: 1) I formulated the problem in an ambiguous way that raised questions etc. 2) on some stage, I misinterpreted my test result and announced the issue was fixed. Below is an attempt to formulate the problem so that the wording doesn't cause a confusion. For the sake of integrity, I'll post a link to this topic on that page.

In terms of this discussion, starting Excel from the Start menu ends in two different ways; the state of the Show the Start screen when this application starts check box determines which of the way is used: if the check box is selected, the resulting Excel window shows the Start screen; if the check box is cleared, you get an Excel window showing the Book1 workbook.

Now, create an XLL: for instance, use a sample project provided by the Excel SDK at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/bb687883.aspx; an Add-in Express based or Excel DNA based XLL will do as well. If the XLL is registered and there are no other Excel add-ins, starting Excel results in an empty Excel window - no Startup screen, no Book1, nothing; only the Ribbon, Formula Bar and status bar are visible. A legal way to get an Excel window in this state is to close all workbooks using File | Close. Yet, you won't expect Excel to start in this state.

Also, note that having a Personal Macro Workbook or ANALYS32.xll prevents the issue from occurring.

This issue has existed since Excel 16.0.8067.2115 or earlier; I reproduce it in build 8613.1000.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 3),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 11:53 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Thanks for sharing the steps. 

I download the another XLL from https://github.com/edparcell/HelloWorldXll and could reproduce the issue with Version 1705 Build 8201.2193 and Version 1708 Build 8431.2079. 

In the latest version for monthly channel Version 1708 Build 8431.2094, the issue does not exist. If you are using Monthly Channel, please update to the latest version.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 9, 2017 9:34 AM

All replies

• Hello All,

I've used File | Feedback to send a shortened version of the text above to the Excel Team. Hopefully, this is all that required from us to inform them about the issue.

Andrei Smolin

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

Thursday, October 5, 2017 7:12 AM
  • Hello Andrei,

I followed Govert's steps in https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/2bb21bfb-4940-4a68-9656-743ae0b8b4da/bug-in-excel-2016-excel-starts-with-no-default-workbook-or-start-page-if-an-xll-is-registered?forum=exceldev but failed to reproduce the issue. I test with Version 1709 Build 8528.2084 and Version 1710 Build 8625.2003.

On other test machines, I failed to get the XLL successfully built. The name of generated XLL is "Example" after added to Excel. So the XLL would fail to load.

To get a quick response, I suggest you create an incident from https://support.microsoft.com/en-my. The service request will be a no-charge case if the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a bug.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 6, 2017 7:32 AM
  • Hello Celeste,

Thank you for looking into this issue.

Please make sure you have only one Office extension enabled when testing this issue. Also make sure you have no Personal Macro workbook and or an .xla (.xlam) loaded from the User StartUp and Excel StartUp locations (these are defined at Trust Center | Trusted Locations).

Also, I create an XLL as follows:

• download an install Excel SDK
    • start Visual Studio and rebuild Framework.sln from the Samples\Framewrk folder
    • then rebuild Example.sln from the Samples\EXAMPLE folder

This creates a 32bit EXAMPLE.xll file; I load it using the Browse button in the Add-ins dialog.

Andrei Smolin

Friday, October 6, 2017 10:24 AM
  • Hello,

Thanks for sharing the steps. 

I download the another XLL from https://github.com/edparcell/HelloWorldXll and could reproduce the issue with Version 1705 Build 8201.2193 and Version 1708 Build 8431.2079. 

In the latest version for monthly channel Version 1708 Build 8431.2094, the issue does not exist. If you are using Monthly Channel, please update to the latest version.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

Monday, October 9, 2017 9:34 AM
  • Hello Celeste,

I confirm that the issue doesn't exist in Build 8528.2126 (it's Monthly Channel). IT still exists in 8613.1000 (Insider Fast); I expect to get the fix delivered by a next version.

Thank you very much for your help! Much appreciated.

Andrei Smolin

Monday, October 9, 2017 1:40 PM
  • Iam using Excel for Office365, Build 16.0.11328.20220 64-bit and this issue still exists. If i install any xll addin, it does not open the blank workbook at startup. This is really annoying. Please help!
    Monday, April 1, 2019 2:57 PM
  • I have the same problem with Excel for Office 365 MSO (16.0.11328.20362) 64-Bit.
    Monday, July 29, 2019 7:32 AM
  • The bug seems to be gone (again) on my 32-bit version 16.0.12001.20000.

-Govert

Excel-DNA - Free and easy .NET for Excel

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 10:50 AM
  • I can confirm this bug with Excel for Office365, Build 16.0.11328.20362 in 64-bit on Windows 10. The workaround of loading another XLL file is working as well.
    Monday, August 19, 2019 12:10 PM