none
Kinect v2 freezing then restarting repeatedly (within a few seconds) - even with Samples RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We've just noticed as of yesterday (Sept 25th) that all of our Kinect v2 sensors are freezing up every 5-15 seconds and seemingly restarting. This is evident even with the C# Samples (ColorBasics just freezes then resumes).

We've been running the 1409 public build. This freezing has happened on two different systems in our environment which have never had problems before this, although worth mentioning one of the computers which is hardware identical has no such issue currently.

We assume a win software update/graphics driver update or some other auto-update is causing this. A couple of things have been updated but it's not clear where the clash is. We have rolled back the SDK to 1408 and all systems are stable..!

Please let us know if anyone gets a fix for this?

Also will there be any more software updates out on the K4W Dev Preview forums, seems the weeklies died off?

Projects, Solutions, Done.

Saturday, September 27, 2014 10:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Nigel,

I have experienced the same issue with one of my Kinects as well. From the outside both white lights and the red IR emitters turned off for a couple of seconds and then turned on again.

According to the API events the sensor was no longer receiving any frames when it turned off, and then reported that it could receive frames again (Sensor.IsAvailableChanged += Sensor_IsAvailableChanged).

IMHO 1409 appears to be a lot worse than 1408. And 1408 introduced a bug that caused KinectService.exe to crash here and there.

We are currently evaluating alternatives to Kinect due to the increasing amount of limitations.
    You cannot use more than one device per computer; it cannot run in system context (a logged on user is required which makes background usage impossible); KinectService.exe keep crashing (in 1408) OR the sensor changes IsAvailable over and over again and does not process frames in that time (in 1409).

It's very sad to see that the best parts we've hoped to get from the V2 release come at the cost that the most basis things no longer work. Real pity. Maybe the final release addresses all these issues. But I fear it won't...

Sunday, September 28, 2014 1:25 PM
  • From the outside both white lights and the red IR emitters turned off for a couple of seconds and then turned on again.

According to the API events the sensor was no longer receiving any frames when it turned off, and then reported that it could receive frames again (Sensor.IsAvailableChanged += Sensor_IsAvailableChanged).

IMHO 1409 appears to be a lot worse than 1408. And 1408 introduced a bug that caused KinectService.exe to crash here and there.

I can confirm the Issue with Build 1409. Happens on our Developer- and Testing-Machine. Instead Build 1408 didn't run smooth on our Testing-Machine.

We try to investigate further more into it...

Sunday, September 28, 2014 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

I am having a similar issue, my Kinect v2 worked with the 1407 public build, but as of installing the 1409 build the sensor restarts (lights off, USB disconnects, reconnects) after about 8 seconds when connected via Kinect Studio or while the Configuration Verifier is testing streams. With the latter it appears to get 30fps color+depth streams from the device until it disconnects.

I had a similar problem when originally connecting the device, which as I recall was cured by updating my USB controller drivers - so I am assuming this may be a bandwidth / power issue with my USB 3.0 controller.

For now I'll stick with 1407 and try some different USB controllers.

In my case its NOT a Kinect for Windows SKU so  perhaps I'm just getting what I deserve for trying to be cheap...

Monday, September 29, 2014 3:22 PM
  • Are you running the Debug or Release builds of the app? Are you running under the debugger in Visual Studio? If you launch Task Manager and click Details tab, are you seeing the KinectService.exe shutdown and re-launch?

Please make available a DXDiag of the system to see if we can reproduce this in our lab.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:53 PM
  • Hi Carmine, in my case the symptoms are with all the sample apps, Configuration Verifier.

I still get it when compiling a sample (debug/release with/without debugger); the KinectService.exe stays running throughout.

edit: Have uploaded a DXDiag report to Pastebin dot com slash J3Dz7bNu

• Edited by Pete Wishart Monday, September 29, 2014 7:17 PM Add link to dxdiag
    Monday, September 29, 2014 6:26 PM
  • Are you running the Debug or Release builds of the app? Are you running under the debugger in Visual Studio? If you launch Task Manager and click Details tab, are you seeing the KinectService.exe shutdown and re-launch?

Please make available a DXDiag of the system to see if we can reproduce this in our lab.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Hi

We have tried debug, release and deployment versions on different computers and for us it doesn't matter, still the service is crashing. We made a system image of the computer where 1409 was working and installed it to the computer where 1409 was not working. That fixed the issue this time, so seems its connected to updates / drivers / 3rd party software / etc... 

DxDiag can be found here.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:35 AM
  • Hi, sorry for conflating this topic with the issue I'm having; my issue is slightly different as the KinectService isn't crashing.

But it seems to be related to drivers / updates also - I tested the 1409 SDK on a separate drive with out-of-the-box Windows 8 and the sensor no longer restarts every 10 seconds.

Edit: I just uninstalled drivers + OpenCl SDK for my IGP/CPU which seems to have fixed the problem. Having mixed vendor OpenCl drivers installed has caused me problems before, maybe 1409 uses OpenCl in some way?
    Thursday, October 2, 2014 12:08 AM
  • I'm facing with a similar problem. In kinect studio (1409-latest version), my image is freezing for a few seconds and then continues, and then again freezes and goes on like this. What could be the reason of this? I formatted my computer but the problem have not solved.

Note: Before, my kinect was working properly with 1408. After installing version 1409, this problem occurred. But now, going back to 1408 could not solve my problem.  

Thursday, November 6, 2014 11:52 PM
  • We don't use OpenCL but use the DirectX equivalent to do the data processing of the Kinect data on the GPU.

@RaasK - based on your DXDiag, your physical memory for the GPU is 32MB and the rest is virtualized. As with any memory virtualization this can effect performance. Are you able to allocate more memory to the GPU?

Display Memory: 1792 MB
       Dedicated Memory: 32 MB

The other item you can check is the Power settings for the PCI Express > Link State Power Management setting. Be sure this is turned off.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Friday, November 7, 2014 5:49 PM
  • I have the exact problem.

1408 was just fine. After I had installed 1409-Release (not Preview), Kinect started to freeze and to recapture again constantly.

I did a fresh reinstall of Win8.1 with automatic update off and tried with 1409. Again freezing problem.

And now 1408, I don't even get any frame.

Very annoying.

Friday, November 7, 2014 10:10 PM
  • Have you adjusted your "Power Options"? Go into the control panel settings and customize the plan settings. Turn off "PCI Express > Link State Power Management"

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, November 10, 2014 11:09 PM
  • I have done that. The problem wasn't that. It was due to detached microphone.

After we have connected microphone, freezing disappeared. This problem did not occur with 1408-Preview.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 8:13 PM
  • Hey guys,

Same issue here after updating to 1410: Kinect freezes and reconnects every 10s or so.

Any solution for this yet?

Friday, December 5, 2014 6:08 PM
  • refer to the troubleshooting guide, we updated to include some other steps: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/20dbadae-dcee-406a-b66f-a182d76cea3b/troubleshooting-and-common-issues-guide?forum=kinectv2sdk

If these don't work, try a PCI Express Gen 2.0 USB3 card plugged into the x16 slot to see if this can work with that motherboard.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Friday, December 5, 2014 7:47 PM
  • Cheers Carmine! Looks like in my case it was related to the remote desktop bug (point 3).
    Monday, December 8, 2014 5:21 PM
  • Hi Nigel,

I'm also having this same issue. I'm trying to find the 1407 or 1408 build but it isn't available anywhere. Where can I find this old(er) build of the Kinect SDK 2.0?

Thursday, January 22, 2015 8:56 AM
  • Sorry, don't think I can help with this, probably worth starting a new thread. I know the Devs here at Lionsharp keep copies of the builds on our file storage, but probably best you get an official download from Microsoft.

Projects, Solutions, Done.

Saturday, January 24, 2015 8:25 AM
  • I found this problems too with 1409 build.

For me it happens when I disabled Kinect's miphone array in Control Panel -> Sound -> Recording

I notice this problem when reading this link

2.0 SDK and Developer Known Issues
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn758677.aspx

Remote Desktop

• If you are accessing the Kinect using Remote Desktop, You must change the remote desktop audio settings to "play on remote machine". If you do not do this, the runtime will not be able to see the audio device, and may disallow connection to the Kinect.

It quite a weird issue !!

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 12:31 PM
  • Disabling the Kinect's microphone array was also the issue for me.

Thanks

sonnybsj

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 7:23 AM
  • This issue solves the problem of getting a ~10 second go and ~10 second freeze time when remoting into a computer using the Kinect.
    No idea why, knowing why would be nice though.
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 2:55 PM
  • ditto .. re-enabled microphone and turned level down to 0 .. all good:)
    Friday, March 4, 2016 6:37 AM
  • Enabling Kinect Microphone arrays worked for me !! Still in 2017: /
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 6:39 PM
  • As of April 2018, the disabled Microphone arrays was also the issue. Resolved by enabling them in the Windows 10 Sound settings
    Sunday, April 8, 2018 8:18 PM
  • thanks you saved my life <3
    Monday, June 18, 2018 10:49 AM
  • Sep 2018

After Windows 10 update to version 1803, experience the same issue of Kinect v2 sensor freezing every 10 to 20 sec and restart itself.

First I tried to check if the audio is disabled from Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound -> Recording -> Kinect Microphone, but it is already enabled and the issue is not solved.

Next, I tried to open the Microsoft Store Camera app and under Setting -> Change privacy settings -> Microphone -> Allow apps to access your microphone -> enable the microphone, then the issue is solved!

• Proposed as answer by Mark_C_M Sunday, September 16, 2018 2:37 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2018 1:42 PM
  • Turning on microphone did not help
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 5:29 AM
  • October 2018

My Kinect 2 on windows was restarting in a 10 second loop.

The aforementioned solutions about sound and power settings did not work for me.

By the way, I could check it worked fine on linux with libfreenect 2, confirming there was no hardware problem.

Somehow I could solve the problem through random desperate attempts on windows...

The kinect started working reliably after I did this (don't take it as a nice solution):

In windows services (on win10: Windows+X>Computer management>Services and Applications>Services) I could see 2 services related to kinect "Kinect Monitor" and something with a name like "Kinect runtime install service" or similar (I don't remember the exact name, and I have no way to check right now).

The second service was stopped, I tried starting it manually.

It ended up in an error (maybe related to the fact I was using the kinect at the same time? I don't know...) and the service was actually REMOVED from the service list after that (that's why I cannot tell you the exact name)

After that, the kinect 2 started working reliably in kinect studio...

Hope it helps someone.

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 6:32 AM
  • Why isn't this fixed so far? Nothing of the solutions around here helped in my case... where to get SDK 1408? how could you roll back to that version?

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 4:44 PM
  • Damn... I was looking for a solution to my issue since months !
    I tried EVERYTHING ! Install modded USB 3 drivers, tried different sdk, cables, adapters, drivers... nothing worked !
    I just followed your advice and enabled the microphone in privacy settings for the camera App, and my Kinect is working fine now, without any connection loss or framedrop.

THANK YOU gmlim !!!!

• Edited by AltAlex Wednesday, November 14, 2018 8:53 PM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 8:48 PM
  • Still can't get it to stop restarting,  on a Surface book no less. Power settings(including processor) are maxed, on USB 3, no bangs in device manager, microphone enabled, allowing all apps to access microphone. I'm on all Microsoft devices!
    Saturday, December 15, 2018 10:21 PM
  • Gaaaw, my precious, it's working again! Thank you so much for this solution Mark!!
    Saturday, December 15, 2018 11:00 PM
  • superflycb -

Can you confirm for me what driver/runtime and OS versions you have?

And for clarification, are you seeing the sensor device restart or just KinectService.exe?

Bryan

Thursday, January 3, 2019 1:07 AM
  • I can't believe it. Also had the freeze, restart, freeze bug on Windows 10 1803. In my case i had to:

Give the camera app the permission to access the camera and sound
    Disable Microphone-Array, Re-enable it and set the sound level to 0

Everything is working again! Thanks to all!

Monday, February 18, 2019 8:14 PM