Document Library Standardization RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

i am new to share point and we are currently using sharepoint 2013 in my company. i would like to know if there is a possible way to make a standard document library. for example currently our company is handling lots of projects and in our document library we have a set of required documents for each project and we have separate folders for each group. is there a way to to do some of these actions:

- create a checklist to see which documents are missing

- Create a Validation rule on file names so file names are organized in similar way

- have size restriction on file types

also i would like to explore possibility of how to share specific parts with external users. really appreciate the help.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 6:53 PM

Answers

• On top of Amit's detailed and brilliant response, you might also think about Document Sets.  These are like folders but are further customisable to allow the inclusion of document templates that can be generated upon demand.  A check list could be a word / .pdf guide for instance

Validation is doable as below but you can also customise the New / Edit forms with regular expressions and Javascript if those skills are within your team.

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

• Marked as answer by Lucied13 Friday, December 27, 2013 4:19 PM
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 11:52 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• You can achieve this two ways

1) Create your sample project document with folders, files and validation rules and then save document library as template with content included. This way you have your document library template which you can use in each project as needed and you dont have to worry about checklist and validation rule.

2) If you want specific answers to your questions then

a) You can create check-list different ways. One way is to simply import your check-list (excel file) into SharePoint list and add check box column to validate document is there or not.

b) On your document library settings there is validation settings. There you can specify validate rule for Title column.

c) I dont think file size is restricted by file type. You can either restrict global file size from your web application general settings in central administration or you can write some custom code (event receiver) which will run on item adding event to check the file type and file size and depending on that it will restrict or allow the file upload.

You have to provide more details on external users scenario and my recommendation is to open a new thread to keep it separate so that we are discussing one thing in one thread.

Amit

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 8:27 PM
  • Amit,

thank you for your quick reply. those are some great ideas and appreciate the help and will definitely try them out and see how it goes. for now really appreciate the help.

best regards

Mohamed

Wednesday, December 25, 2013 3:18 PM
  • On top of Amit's detailed and brilliant response, you might also think about Document Sets.  These are like folders but are further customisable to allow the inclusion of document templates that can be generated upon demand.  A check list could be a word / .pdf guide for instance

Validation is doable as below but you can also customise the New / Edit forms with regular expressions and Javascript if those skills are within your team.

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

• Marked as answer by Lucied13 Friday, December 27, 2013 4:19 PM
    Wednesday, December 25, 2013 11:52 PM
    Answerer
  • Steven,

your recommendation suits my needs perfectly. it is really what i wanted and really appreciate your suggestion.

have a nice day and thank you again

Best regards,

Mohamed

Friday, December 27, 2013 4:19 PM