How to use Windows.Globalization.DateTimeFormatting to get a "xx minutes" string?

Answers

All replies

• Yes, you can format any DateTime with the DateTimeFormatter class. It can be a duration rather than an actual time. See the remarks in the DateTimeFormatter docs for the list of valid templates.
    Sunday, April 06, 2014 12:18 AM
    Owner
  • Sounds more like you need a TimeSpan than a DateTime.

For example:

DateTime start = new DateTime(2010, 01,01 12,55,00);

DateTime end = DateTime.Now;

Timespan ts = end-start;

Debug.WriteLine(string.Format("{0} days, {1} hours, {2} minutes", ts.Days, ts.Hours, ts.Minutes));

Darin R.

Sunday, April 06, 2014 7:11 PM
  • U sure there is a Timespan in JavaScript? :)

Also I would like to use the Windows Globalization API to correctly format minutes and hours, not format it myself.

@Rob: I did not find something for timespan/duration formatting in the remarks.

Sunday, April 06, 2014 8:08 PM
  • Sorry, I didn't see the forum (or didn't comprehend it...) bad me.

;)

Darin R.

Sunday, April 06, 2014 9:51 PM
  • Don't back off so quickly, Darin! The Windows.Foundation.TimeSpan structure is available to JavaScript.

PKursawe, take a look at the Date and time formatting sample . Scenario 2 demonstrates using the hour minute string format. If you want something more specific that isn't templated then you'll need to create that yourself.

--Rob

Sunday, April 06, 2014 11:11 PM
    Owner
  • To clarify, 'minutes' in the question are within the quotes. - I'm not aware that DateTimeFormatter has the localized names for "days", "hours", "minutes" or their abbreviations "d", "h", "m".  This was an approach I took, using resources.

return string.Format("{0:N0} {1}", timespan.TotalMinutes, ResoureManager.ResourceLoader.GetString("TimeUnitMinutesAbbreviationLower/Text"));

C# not JavaScript but am sure you get the gist.

(However, if localized period names singular/plural and abbreviations can also be output it would be helpful to know, and what these formatting strings are - didn't seem clear in the sample)

• Edited by Ben - GGT Monday, April 07, 2014 2:08 PM clarity
    Monday, April 07, 2014 2:08 PM