Where should I put my extended unit test assemblies for Visual Studio 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a question about M/S Unit test extension.

----------------
    1. My purpose
    ----------------
    I'm trying to extend Visual Studio Unit Test.
    The points where I extends unit test is to output detail logs.

My development environment is as follows.
    IDE: Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2013
      (Version 12.0.30723.00 Update 3)

----------------
    2. Things which I'd like to know
    ----------------
    To enable my test extension, it is required to put my test extension assemblies into designated sub folder under Visual Studio's installed folder.

The source of this information is MS developers blog below.
    (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vstsqualitytools/archive/2009/09/04/extending-the-visual-studio-unit-test-type-part-1.aspx)

----------------
    Q1. It's required to put the assemblies bellow.
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies

Howerver, the guidance in the blog is for Visual Studio 2010. In Visual Studio2013, above "PrivateAssemblies" could not be found under "\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE" folder.

Where should I put my assemblies for my 2013. Is there any substitution for "\PrivateAssembly" folder?

----------------
    Q2. Another requirement is to set Assembly information entry into the registry below.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\EnterpriseTools\QualityTools\TestTypes\{13cdc9d9-ddb5-4fa4-a97d-d965ccfc6d4b}\TestTypeExtensions

For Visual Studio 2013, I could find almost the same node hierarchy, but could not find the last "TestTypeExtention" node. Instead, I could find "Extensions" node.

Should I write registry entry here? Or, should I make a new "TestTypeExtension" node and write the entry there?

----------------
    Q3.Last question is more basic question.
    Is there any way to kick extended test program in Visual Studio 2013's Test Explore without registering my assemblies in the way recommended above.

I think it's much tender for developer's in debugging phase. For example, it is very much helpful, if I could kick a unit test which uses my extended test class in the unit test extension solution.

That's all. Any information concerning this topics will be appreciated.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 1:55 AM

Answers

• Hi TrailRunner-MF,

One possible reason is that you didn't view the correct folder, for example, in my windows 8.1 64 bit, it is in the path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE", not the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE " folder.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 8:57 AM

All replies

• for a reference, I here by attach the image of explorer showing there's no "PrivateAssemblies" folder under the Visual Studio 2013's installed directory.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 5:20 AM
  • Hi TrailRunner-MF,

One possible reason is that you didn't view the correct folder, for example, in my windows 8.1 64 bit, it is in the path: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE", not the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE " folder.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 8:57 AM
  • Hi, Jack-Zhai. 

Thanks a lot. I could easily find "PrivateAssembly" folder in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE".

I put my extension class there and tried the test which have my extended TestClassAttribute.

It still have a problem that the test explorer claimed the TestClassAttribute has not been registered, but it recognized the Attriubte and kicked the test program itself.

Maybe it's a problem of way of registering my TestClassAttribute into the registry.

Anyway thanks a lot, that with your advice I could manage to make one step forward.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 4:31 AM
  • You are welcome!TrailRunner-MF!

If you meet any new test issue, please feel free to post it to a new thread in our forum. We will follow up your new issue:)

Have a nice day,

Jack

Thursday, February 5, 2015 6:06 AM