Metro Control Panel - Windows Update

Question

• Metro doesn't seem to respect Windows Update settings managed from the desktop Control Panel Windows Update settings. If I switch to "Notify of updates, but let me choose when to download." I didn't see any warning of a new update being available from within the Metro Control Panel Windows Update section. And when I manually checked from desktop Control Panel there were updates available. This is not by design, I hope?

Also, it would be nice if the Metro Control Panel allowed me to tap/click a button to immediately check for any available updates. Even with the setting of having Windows download and install updates automatically, there was no indication/feedback about updates being downloaded or installed from within the Metro Control Panel. It'd be nice to be able to choose to focus on updates and get them downloaded and installed as quickly as possible if desired without having to leave the Metro Control Panel. Especially since there is already a Windows Update section there.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:22 AM

Answers

• I was able to duplicate the same issue. I had to restart the PC for the updates to show in the Metro UI.
    • Marked as answer by MadMojo Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:46 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:22 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I was able to duplicate the same issue. I had to restart the PC for the updates to show in the Metro UI.
    • Marked as answer by MadMojo Saturday, September 24, 2011 9:46 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 12:22 PM
    Answerer
  • Hello MadMojo,

Thank you for your feedback. The Metro UI is only updated after we have done an automatic background scan, which happens once a day. In your case, that may not have happened yet.

Regarding having a "Check for updates" button in Metro Control Panel, that is currently being considered. As for having no progress or indication in Metro about updates being downloaded, I assume you were referring to the automatic download when Windows Update is set to "auto-download" or "auto-install". That is actually by design. The goal is to not bother users with things that users have asked Windows to do automatically.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:52 AM
  • We also have a refresh issue with Metro Windows Update when state changes after UI is opened. You can browse to another page in Metro Control Panel and browse back to WU. That may fixes the UI state. Thank you.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:54 AM