none
common header files for wince 6.0 and a win32 RRS feed

• Question

• Basically we want to be able to use a header file with several defines between a win32 program, and a wince progam, its for a protocal for two programs to talk to each other.  So a dev making a program for the PC will need the header to get specific defines for that the device is using.

I'm hoping to find somethign better then copy and paste, like if you could inlude the the header as part of the sdk but it doesn't look like it, although if you can do something like that I wouldn't mind getting the library for talking to it on there either so we can avoid copying and pasting that...

Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:47 PM

All replies

• >>like if you could inlude the the header as part of the sdk but it doesn't look like it...

??? - You mean you want to add the header file and library to your device SDK built with Platform Builder?  If so, it's pretty simple - just edit the properties of your SDK and under the Additional Folders page use the Add... button to add folders containing your header and library files and specify the target folders where you want these files installed under the SDK folder on the developers' PCs. 

I commonly use shared header files between device and desktop projects where applicable.  A common define used for this purpsoe is UNDER_CE, which, if defined, indicates that your compilation target is a Windows CE device as opposed to a Desktop Windows OS target. 

#ifdef UNDER_CE
    // CE specific code or macros here
    #else
    // PC specific stuff here
    #endif

Tom Gensel PTG Systems, LLC
    http://www.ptgsystems.com
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Oh then the other question is, how can i use the sdk in a native pc project? I can't just edit the project properties to point to a particle folder on my PC without causing some nasty head aches in source control for everyone that is goign to attempt to use it. Which is why we've just started copying it in the first place, the native pc lib builds, it just needs the defines that are in our platform

Thursday, January 13, 2011 8:58 PM
  • The solution to this type of scenario depends on several factors unique to your situation: namely the capabilities of your source control system and the ownership and organization of the source files in your repositiory.  Many source control systems provide a method to share files across projects or from different locations within the repository. (For example, SVN has support for externals definitions on directories that allow for the defintion of nested working copy checkouts.  Anyone who checks out a directory with an externals property set automatically get a working copy of all the items listed in the externals definition.)  You could use this type of capability to allow the shared files to reside within your source control repository either in your Platform Builder OS configuration project or your PC libary project, but have it shared with the other project, or with multiple projects if necessary. 
    Tom Gensel PTG Systems, LLC
    http://www.ptgsystems.com
    Friday, January 14, 2011 4:26 AM