Visual Studio 2010 Professional and Mobile SDK's RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I downloaded the Visual Studio 2010 trial, so as to see if I can make a DLL for the Broadcom (Widcomm BT Stack), using the Broadcom BT SDK, that requires Visual Studio 2005 to compile it.

I actually develop in Rad Studio 2010, and In WIndevMobile 14 for all my mobile apps.

So I downloaded the latest VS 2010 Trial 2010/04/17, and will purchase if it works!

Downloaded the required SDK's for the Broadcom SDK:
    - Microsoft Pocket PC 2003 SDK
    - Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDK

None will install, and all request earlier versions ranging from eMBedded c++ 4.0, VisualStudio 5.0

Well then I decided I best download the most recent PPC sdk, and downloaded 6.5.3.

Only to find it also requests an earlier version of Visual Studio 2008.

Excuse my ignorance, but:
    Do I have to have every version of VS ever, to be able to use anything!
    I definitely cannot afford purchasing all those versions, not to mention the cost in bandwidth to download all these files.

And I hope that it can be done with VS 2010 Professional, else I'm stuck again, and will be very disappointed in Microsoft!

Regards

Adrian

Sunday, April 18, 2010 10:47 AM

Answers

• And I hope that it can be done with VS 2010 Professional, else I'm stuck again, and will be very disappointed in Microsoft!

Visual Studio 2010 does not support Windows Mobile development.
    Joel Ivory Johnson | http://www.j2i.net | Device Application Development MVP
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:04 AM
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 12:24 PM

All replies

• And I hope that it can be done with VS 2010 Professional, else I'm stuck again, and will be very disappointed in Microsoft!

Visual Studio 2010 does not support Windows Mobile development.
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:04 AM
    Sunday, April 18, 2010 12:24 PM
  • Well that was really very dissapointing!!! It's too hard to digest! I use a Pocket PC because I can easily develop anything that I need.

If we have to buy a different version of Visual Studio for each of the things, it is practically not possible and we have to choose from the things. This will reduce Microsoft costumers in turn!

Friday, July 16, 2010 12:36 PM
  • If we have to buy a different version of Visual Studio for each of the things, it is practically not possible and we have to choose from the things.

One only needs to purchase something to do native development. For managed development on Windows Mobile one can use the free .Net Compact Framework. For Windows Phone 7 one can use the free Windows Phone Tools (Which ships with VS 2008 Express).
    Friday, July 16, 2010 12:59 PM
  • We have developed web application using VS2010. Now same application we want on Mobile.

VS2010 does not have any template to develop the mobile web application. I am new to Mobile development and we are using VS2010. So pls assist us what should we do?

Friday, September 24, 2010 6:11 AM
  • you will want to try the http://asp.net site and it's forums for that information. 
    Friday, September 24, 2010 9:51 AM
  • huh? (Picking jaw up off of floor) So, is the recommended practice to have VS2010 and VS2008 installed side by side? Can you point me to a mobile technology and development roadmap or something of the like?
    Monday, October 18, 2010 9:39 PM
  • If you need to use technologies specific to both versions then that's your only choice.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 10:30 PM
  • This is why Microsoft is so hated. The fricken politics they practice do nothing but make them look like idiots. The only reason they ended VS 2010 being able to do mobile development for 6.x Compact Framework apps, is so they can push Windows phone 7. Never mind the fact the Windows CE embedded developers cannot not use Windows phone 7 OS, and are still stuck with the last version of the OS (and it doesn't appear that that's going to change). There are also 6.5 phones still be sold by pretty much every carrier, but MS has to try and force people to their new technology by going and ending support for literally last years technology.

They've done this since their inception and seem to think that people won't get P.O.'d at them. What a conceited bunch of greedy @!$#!! I know companies like apple do the same thing sometimes, but I still smile when I here Microsoft is losing market share, since they do this more than anyone else.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:57 PM
  • This is why Microsoft is so hated. The fricken politics they practice do nothing but make them look like idiots. The only reason they ended VS 2010 being able to do mobile development for 6.x Compact Framework apps, is so they can push Windows phone 7.

It might not be proper to see that they "ended VS 2010 being able to do mobile development for 6.x" given that it has never done WM6.x development. That wording makes it sound like VS2010 used to support it but nolonger does. But VS2010 shipped with no Mobile Development support at all. It was about 15 February 2010 that Ballermer stated at the Mobile World Congress that WM developers would need to continue to use VS2008 for such development. Then the WP developer tools were released.

VS2010 uses a different plug-in model than VS2008. To make the WM tools work Microsoft would have to rewrite parts of the tools. Given the declining marketshare of WM (and the further declines expected with the WP release) I can understand the motivations behind the business decision to not allocate resources to the task, especially since theyr mobile development resources were still working on getting WP7 out the door.

Never mind the fact the Windows CE embedded developers cannot not use Windows phone 7 OS, and are still stuck with the last version of the OS (and it doesn't appear that that's going to change).

That actually sounds like part of the normally observed progression. Any time a new IDE is released there are some number of technologies that are not supported by it. One couldn't use the WinCE 5.0 Platform Builder with Visual Studio 2008. They had to continue to use 2005. Now, as you have observed, one cannot use the WinCE 6.0 Platform Builder with VS2010. They have to continue to use 2008. You could find other technologies for which this was also the case, such as Visual Basic and the transition from Visual Studio 6 to Visual Studio .Net 2001 (I'm still surprised at how many companies still have VB6 based projects today!).

There are also 6.5 phones still be sold by pretty much every carrier, but MS has to try and force people to their new technology by going and ending support for literally last years technology.
    Are you in the USA? If so saying that the phones are being sold be pretty much every carrier while technically true. But in my opinion it doesn't represent very well the availability of Windows Mobile phones. I took a look at the availability on the USA's 4 nation wide carriers. T-Mobile USA sells the HD2 as a refurbished device. Sprint still has the Touch Pro 2, Verizon Wireless has no Windows Mobile devices at all, AT&T has the Samsung Jack. It's possible for enterprise channels to get their hands on custom Windows Mobile hardware, like the devices that Federal Express Delivery employees use for capturing signatures. These devices are not available to consumers.

Microsoft hasn't ended support for Windows Mobile. At the same event where Ballmer announced Windows Phone 7 and that Visual Studio 2008 most be used for Windows Mobile he also reaffirmed Microsoft commitment to continue to support Windows Mobile. But Microsoft doesn't make devices. So the reduction in available hardware is the result of carrier and OEM decision (and to some extent the result of the dropping Marketshare).

They've done this since their inception and seem to think that people won't get P.O.'d at them. What a conceited bunch of greedy @!$#!! I know companies like apple do the same thing sometimes, but I still smile when I here Microsoft is losing market share, since they do this more than anyone else.

I've already mentioned a few times when this has happened before, but it goes without saying that computer technologies generally are not supported forever. Support for the 8 and 16-bit desktop operating systems is long gone. 32-bit x86 support is still around, but if you look closely you will find that it is being phased out in the server environment. Windows XP is nolonger within it's support lifetime, and so on.  No one likes to see a technology they've gotten to know fall out of the mainstream (I had my own emotional experience when I found out WP7 wasn't using the same technologies as WM a year ago). But that's the nature of computer based technologies...

Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:20 PM
  • Alright, I had the same issue, now can you tell me if I can still using eMbedded VisualBasic to develop small App for WM6.x ? and can you give me the download link as I do not find it on microsoft, only the eMbedded VisualC !.

Thanks ...

http://www.she7ata.com
    Friday, June 3, 2011 5:01 AM

• Visual Studio 2010 does not support Windows Mobile development.

Holly crap! 

just what we needed... another backward incompatibility issue.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:49 AM
  • Yes; this really makes everything more difficult.  I have been programming mobile devices for 4 years and have visual studio 2003/2005/2008/2010 ALL installed on my PC because of a combination of issues involving hardware (handheld device) that is not compatible with upgrades to handheld OS's (2003/2005) and PC programs written in 2010 in combination with new handheld programs that CAN NOT be written in 2010 (2008/2010).  The whole thing in a huge pain in the ass, having all these versions installed created a ton a problems that take away HUGE amounts of time when I could be working.

The good news is because you already own the 2010 version you can downgrade to 2008 without spending any more money.  The bad news is if you don't own any version yet you HAVE to buy the 2010 version and then use the 2008 version after downgrading if you want to program handheld devices.  You don't always get what you pay for I guess.

• Proposed as answer by Navicerts Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:17 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:16 PM
  • I just installed 2010 professional (trial) because I assumed (silly me), that the features from 2005 onward would still be there (perhaps not enabled as a default/typical installation, but at least there).  There are workarounds for wince development outside of visual studio that work under both windows and linux as well, but it sure is nice to have everything in the same ide. I think the mobile sdk's should have at least been enabled via additional download/installation rather than having to downgrade, that's just silly and makes no sense at all and just helps to put off new developers or ones considering going back to windows from *nix. Will it be fixed for 2011? Or since we are well into 2011 now, how about nixing 2011 and make a 2012 release with the issue(s) fixed (or fixable by additional download/configuration)
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:00 PM
  • [...] I assumed (silly me), that the features from 2005 onward would still be there[...] I think the mobile sdk's should have at least been enabled via additional download/installation rather than having to downgrade[...]Will it be fixed for 2011? 
    I doubt it.  If we look back at past actions for each successive IDE there are some set of features that are not supported in the following version (I can only recall back as far as Visual Studio 6, which came out in 1998).  The Windows Mobile SDK seems to be one of these features for the 2008 to 2010 transition. 
    Joel Ivory Johnson | http://www.j2i.net | Windows Phone Developer MVP
    Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:49 PM