Different pricing for Windows Store/Phone Store on Universal App RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a Windows Store App for Windows 8.1 which is in the store. It is a paid app. It is also a Universal App, and I have a Windows Phone 8.1 app associated with it. I would like to offer the Phone app as a free "companion product" available to everyone, but keep the main app as paid.

During the Phone app submission, I associated the Phone app with the original, and set the pricing to 0.00 (free). The problem is the docs say anyone who downloads the Phone app will be able to download the Paid app. Does this mean the Main app will be free to everyone who downloads the Phone app?

Is it possible to have differing pricing tiers for Universal Apps between the Phone and Windows stores?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Bob DeCuir

Sunday, June 14, 2015 2:12 PM

Answers

• I received an answer from MS support and thought I should share it. Thank you Jonathan.

Hello Bob,

Thanks for reaching out. I have answered your questions below:

During the Phone app submission, I associated the Phone app with the original, and set the pricing to 0.00 (free). The problem is the docs say anyone who downloads the Phone app will be able to download the Paid app. Does this mean the Main app will be free to everyone who downloads the Phone app?

A: If the Store and Phone apps are associated, then any user that has the Phone app license (installs it), will also be able to install the Store app.

Is it possible to have differing pricing tiers for Universal Apps between the Phone and Windows stores?

A: No it is not possible currently.

The Windows Phone dashboard allows you to set a price for the app, as does the Windows Store. What happens when these prices are different on a Universal App which is linked to both stores?

A: The lowest price is used.

With VS 2013 and Universal Apps (Not the 2015 version), the Windows Store and Windows Phone apps are different projects. In my case, they are related, but different in functionality. This is the reason for the different pricing tiers between the two.

I expect this scenario to continue when we transition over to VS 2015 and the new Universal App solutions where the projects are the same. How will this effect the different pricing tiers?

A: This should not affect the pricing tiers as you still upload the packages separately. However, the new dashboard may have different options and functionality, so this cannot be answered for future scenarios until the new dashboard is released.

With all this being said, I think you may have an option to accomplish what you need. Instead of having the Store app require a purchase to download, you could use an IAP (in-app purchase) that allows full functionality of the Store app. This way it would not matter if a user had the app license for the Phone or Store app since the license only offers limited functionality in the Store app without the In-App Purchase. I'm not able to assist with the technical aspects of this, but if need be you can always contact our tech forums to speak with the moderators and other developers to get their thoughts on the best approach for you. Looking forward to your response.

Best Regards,

Jonathan

Bob DeCuir

• Marked as answer by Sunergy Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:30 PM
    Tuesday, June 16, 2015 10:01 PM