Still not sure if it is safe/possible to install Win8's Developer Preview near Win7!?

Question

• Hi. I'm going to download and install Win8's Developer Preview on my system. I know this is a beta (better to say pre-beta) version of the OS and it may make many problems for me so, My question is that is it possible to install Win8 as a NEW installation near my Win7? I mean install Win8 on a different partition and make a dual-bool system.

I know the things I can do with BOOTMGR to add an old operating system to BOOTMGR [As you know, Windows Installer will offer to move all files of a previous Windows to a "windows.old" folder which is later re-usable]. However, it is safer and more comfortable to ask the Win8 installer install the new Windows NEAR the old Windows and not to replace it or remove it from the boot list.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 5:59 AM

Answers

• You can dual boot Windows 7 and 8 by installing it on a different partition. Backup important data first, and you should not touch your restore partition if the hard drive has one.

Here is a guide - dual boot Windows 7 and 8:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/74335/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-8/

First please note:
    The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment.

Downlaod page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alpha Centauri Monday, February 27, 2012 8:16 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:10 AM
  • Alpha Centauri:

My question is that *is it possible to install Win8 as a NEW installation near my Win7? I mean install Win8 on a different partition and make a dual-bool system.*

Dual-Boot is not a good idea, because the Win 8 boot manager garbage will overwrite the Win 7 boot
    configuration. So there are two ways: install it in a VM or in a separate partition with its OWN boot
    configuration and change the partitions boot flag, to boot Win 7 or Win 8. Changing the boot flag can be
    done with a script in both systems, so you can boot from Win 7 to Win 8 and from Win 8 to Win 7.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:13 AM

All replies

• You can dual boot Windows 7 and 8 by installing it on a different partition. Backup important data first, and you should not touch your restore partition if the hard drive has one.

Here is a guide - dual boot Windows 7 and 8:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/74335/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-windows-8/

First please note:
    The Windows Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment.

Downlaod page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516.aspx

• Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:10 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:10 AM
  • Alpha Centauri:

My question is that *is it possible to install Win8 as a NEW installation near my Win7? I mean install Win8 on a different partition and make a dual-bool system.*

Dual-Boot is not a good idea, because the Win 8 boot manager garbage will overwrite the Win 7 boot
    configuration. So there are two ways: install it in a VM or in a separate partition with its OWN boot
    configuration and change the partitions boot flag, to boot Win 7 or Win 8. Changing the boot flag can be
    done with a script in both systems, so you can boot from Win 7 to Win 8 and from Win 8 to Win 7.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:13 AM