SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio - Integration Services & VS 2010 Express RRS feed

• Question

• I have SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio installed.  I clicked on that, clicked Create Project, clicked Business Intelligence Projects, clicked Integration Services Project and clicked OK.  I get this message:

Microsoft Visual Studio is unable to load this document: to design Integration Services packages in Business Intelligence Development Studio, Integration Services has to be installed by one of these editions of SQL Server 2008: Standard, Enterprise, Developer, or Evaluation.  To install Integration Services, run SQL Server Setup and select integration Services.

So, I downloaded SQL Server 2008 R2 from here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/ff459612

I clicked on 'New installation or ad features to an existing installation.' I ran it and installed it.  Then, I got a message that says I need Visual Studio 2008 with SP1.  So, I downloaded and installed VS 2008 with SP1.  I checked the version of my SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio and I see that it is Version 3.5 SP1 (Version 9.0.30729.1 SP).  I rerun SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup, click 'New installation or ad features to an existing installation.'  Specify a free edition = Evaluation.  Next.  Accept terms of the license.  Choose ‘SQL Server Feature Installation’.  On the next screen I see a big red ‘X’ next to this:

Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Status = Failed

When I click the ‘Failed’ message, it says: ‘A previous release of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 is installed on this computer.  Upgrade Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 to the SP1 before installing SQL Server 2008’.  As far as I can tell, I ALREADY DID THIS. 

Here’s the long and short of it.  I’d like a cheap copy of SQL Server 2008 R2.  I think it is $50.  Is that right?  Also, I am planning to download VS 2010 Express, from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/express-iso

I have Visual C# 2008 Express and Visual Basic 2008 Express and Visual Web Developer 2008 Express installed right now.  I haven’t used these much in the past; just used them a bit.  I’m planning to work with these technologies MUCH more in the near future.  If I get VS 2010 Express from the link I posted above, will that automatically upgrade my 2008 Express technologies?  Or, do I need to uninstall mu 2008 Express versions before I upgrade to 2010?  Finally, when I get the VS 2010 Express, will I be able to use SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio - Integration Services?  That’s what I really want to do!!

Thanks everyone!!

Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:30 PM

Answers

• Hi ryguy72,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

Regarding the SQL Server 2008 R2 installation issue, I would like to suggest you check my reply in this thread.

For Visual Studio 2010 Express, it can be installed side-by-side with Visual Studio 2008. And it will not upgrade your existing Visual Studio 2008 IDe, instead, they will remain in your system as separate IDEs. Pelase see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms246609.aspx

For questions about SQL Server Integration Services, I recommand you open a new post int the SQL Server Integration Services Forum, where you can consult SQL Server experts for more efficient response.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Andrew.Wu Monday, October 10, 2011 8:59 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:37 AM