locked
Data visible in main app, and data set designer, but not via “show table data” in server explorer RRS feed

  • Question


  • This is a weird one, (though someone may point out the obvious!).

    I lost my hard disc and, although I recovered my Winforms application, and the database, the fact that I had to restructure the file system meant that I had to put the database in a different place. Hence, I had to edit the Winforms app to point at the database, (actually a copy of the database) in the new location.

    This all works fine, and I've been using the application (which involves writing financial data to the database and then querying it in various ways) for a couple of months now.

    However, I was doing a bit of development work and I looked at the data in the database using "show table data" in server explorer. Weirdly, no data since I moved the database shows up. However, I know it's there because a) the main application shows it is when it queries the database, and b) I can see it if I query the datasets in data set designer.

    One other possible relevant point. When I recovered my database I moved from using Visual Studio 2013 community to VS 2017 community.

    Any thoughts on why I can't see the data when querying via server explorer would be greatly appreciated.

    I'm coding in C# using Visual studio community 2017 on a Windows 10 PC. The database is SQLserver.

    Thanks!


    • Edited by Nick J UK Thursday, September 28, 2017 4:04 PM
    • Moved by 宝宝徐 Friday, September 29, 2017 8:13 AM
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 4:03 PM

All replies

  • Hi Nick J,

    I will move your thread to Data Platform Development > ADO.NET Managed Providers for professional support, thank you for understanding.

    Best regards,

    Joyce


    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

    Friday, September 29, 2017 8:08 AM
  • Hi,

    After reading your post, a few things you need to clarify.

    1. Are your winform application and DataBase in the same directory?

    2. Your application is working fine (you can access the database)?

    3. Does it work on Visual Studio 2013 community?

    4. Can you see data on SQLServer?

    Some suggestions you can take a reference.

    1. Try to refresh the SQL Server Object Explorer,

    2. Try to disconnect the existing database, then try to connect to a database and browse existing objects

    How to do you can see: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh272693(v=vs.103).aspx

    Best Regards,

    Bob


    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

    Friday, September 29, 2017 8:57 AM