none
Connect via MAC address to an router RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I want to connect via mac address with FTPS and SSH to a mikrotik router with c#. The router it's connected directly to the computer.

A new router often has no IP configured. Winbox it's a Mikrotik tool that allows me to connect via mac address and allows me to configure the router. Each week I configure 20+ routers.

I want to automatize this step to configure those 20+ routers in a single run.

I already have a working program that does just that but uses IP address.

Friday, April 13, 2018 6:53 PM

All replies

• Impossible.  A new router ALWAYS has an IP address.  Otherwise it cannot be reached at all.  FTPS and SSH are both TCP protocols.  TCP uses IP, which means the device has to have an IP address.

So, you need to learn what the default IP address for your MikroTik routers is.  Does it come out of the box expecting DHCP, or does it have a hard-coded address?  I've seen both strategies.  If it has a hard-coded address, it's easy enough to make one port on your computer also have a static address in the same subnet.  Then, you can do your transfers.

Tim Roberts, Driver MVP Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Friday, April 13, 2018 9:11 PM
  • The IP it's literally 0.0.0.0 that's the default, it's static and has no DHCP.

It's clearly not imposible as winbox does this perfectly fine. Talking to an IT guy he tells me that indeed you can't connect via MAC because those protocols are TCP as you said, winbox creates a subnet were it assigns a virtual IP to each device, then procedes to communicate with UDP.

The IT guy only knows about networks and absolutely no programming knowledge. The question now it's how to create that virtual subnet in C#

Friday, April 13, 2018 11:46 PM
  • Hello,

Your post refers to hardware OEM that is not a Microsoft product. This forum

is limited to support of the C Sharp language.  Regardless, your project will

require use of special hardware. I think the OEM support website should be

of greater assistance than here.

After reviewing OEM and their support web services, I think you will need

to address your project to them.

Sorry, this isnt that forum :)

Saturday, April 14, 2018 2:33 AM