Collect data using Expression Web without needing FrontPage Server Extensions RRS feed

• Question

• My problem is 2-fold.  I am/was using FP2003.  Last weekend my webhost stopped supporting FPSE, so I switched webhost companies to one that still supported FPSE.   I moved my website to the new webhost and everything worked great for 3 days or to be specific, everything worked great until I changed some webpages and re-published.   After that, each time I tried to re-publish, FP2003 said that FPSE were not installed on the webhost.   Lots of phone calls and many uninstall/re-install of FPSE on the webhost never fixed the problem.

So, I bought Expression Studio 4.   After installing it, I brought up Expression Web and imported the files from FP2003 to EW4.   I thought that all the files would work because EW4 didn't require FPSE to be installed on the webhost.   But, after publishing with EW4 I found I had the same problem I'd experienced with FP2003 on the new webhost.   The pages didn't work.   Now the pages that didn't work were .htm pages created to collect 3 fields and write the 3 fields to a text file.   From what I think I have read everywhere on the net, if you use EITHER FP2003 or EW4 and have an html page collecting data.....FPSE must be installed on the webhost.   Is this correct?

What I need is a little help understanding what I need to do so that FPSEs are not required on my webhost platform which is a Linux so that I can collect data and NOT have it emailed to me (I have seen a bunch of links showing how do do this with EW4).   Collecting data to a text file would be great.    If that is not an option, I am fairly familiar with MS Access, but I have read that MS 2007 (which I have) also needs to have FPSE installed on the webhost when being used with EW4.   Is this true??

Can someone help?   All I want to do is collect data from a webpage (do I need to us ASPX for this?) and not have to worry about having FPSE installed on the webhost.   Things have went smoothly with FP2003 for 7 years and now I feel like a fish out of water.    And, my website isn't working.

I'll appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Steve

Thursday, November 29, 2012 6:21 AM

All replies

• Expression Web questions are best asked in the Expression Web forum.
    The EW forum FAQ ( http://social.expression.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/web/thread/7fd16fa3-1944-4522-8848-a6a2926a253b ) gives many links to tutorials, some designed for users moving from FrontPage
    to Expression Web.

To answer some of your explicit questions:

If you use Shared Borders, do NOT use Expression Web 4 - EW4 will destroy pages using shared borders. Remove the SBs in FrontPage - replace them with a Dynamic Web Template.

"if you use EITHER FP2003 or EW4 and have an html page collecting data.....FPSE must be installed on the webhost.   Is this correct?"

No.  But you must have some server side processing such as asp.NET or PHP. asp.NET will not function on the vast majority of Linux servers (requires MONO) so PHP is the most common option.
     "I have read that MS 2007 (which I have) also needs to have FPSE installed on the webhost when being used with EW4.   Is this true??"

No.  Access databases can be used on Windows servers (not Linux).  Again, they require asp.NET, "classic" ASP or PHP for server-side scripting. Access does not use the FP extensions, whether
    installed or not (though the extensions do make setting up the database easier).
     "All I want to do is collect data from a webpage (do I need to us ASPX for this?)"

No.  You do need a database (this can be mySQL, MS SQL Server, Access or a text file) together with server side scripting (PHP, asp.NET, Perl, JSP or several other choices).  Expression Web supports
    PHP and asp.NET 2 upwards. FrontPage 2003 supports "classic" ASP and asp.NET 1.4. You have to choose which you use bearing in mind the server OS (Linux does not support Access, ASP or asp.NET) and
    what your host will provide.

You may find some PHP code snippets at http://www.veign.com (use the search box to look for "forms" (without the quotes)).

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Saturday, December 8, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Ron,

Thanks for the reply.   I thought I'd posted my question in the correct area.   I'll post future questions in the area you suggested.   I still have a problem getting EW webpages that are forms to collect data on a Linux server which is supports FPSE.   The webpages worked once, then after I re-published the webpages never worked again no matter how many times I uninstalled/reinstalled FPSE on the Linux server.   The webhost tells me it is a coding problem.   Problem is NO code was changed.   All in all it is just very frustrating.

Thanks again for your information.

Steve

Saturday, December 8, 2012 8:13 PM
  • Give a link to the faulty page - it is not possible to suggest anything without seeing what is there.

Ron Symonds
    Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp
    Monday, December 10, 2012 4:41 PM