none
Choosing between MSI and MSI-x RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an NDIS driver managing a NIC. The HW supports both MSI and MSI-X.

How do the OS choose whether to use MSI or MSI-X with a given NIC? Will it automatically use the maximal supported capability (i.e. MSI-X) or this needs to be somehow explicitly configured?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 11:03 AM

Answers

• Assuming the hardware and the motherboard support MSI-X properly - and the driver is written properly - then NDIS will use MSI-X

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:26 PM

All replies

• Assuming the hardware and the motherboard support MSI-X properly - and the driver is written properly - then NDIS will use MSI-X

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 7:26 PM
  • And if I want to support both MSI and MSI-X internally by the driver? I.e., the device can be installed on various platforms, either supporting MSI-X or not. Is there a way to know whether NDIS chose MSI or MSI-X?
    • Edited by -IgorC- Wednesday, March 25, 2015 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:45 AM
  • MSI and MSI-X have separate capability blocks (5h and 11h), and the enable bit will be set in only one of them.

-- pa

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 12:11 PM
  • MSI and MSI-X have separate capability blocks (5h and 11h), and the enable bit will be set in only one of them.

-- pa

Can you elaborate a bit? What's the API to access these capability blocks?
    Wednesday, March 25, 2015 12:19 PM
  • Only a bit :)No special API, just the normal way to access the config space... Or, the device itself can sense this and inform the driver.

Regards,

- pa

Yes, I've been reading this. Mostly understandable, I just have 2 items not so clear to me:

- Is it ok to use NDIS API to query bus data (NdisMGetBusData)?

- The capabilities structures aren't exposed in the OS headers and are only documented online, e.g. MSI-X capability . So I should internally define the relevant type and cast the received data to it? A bit weird mode.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 1:28 PM
  • Yes, use NdisMGetBusData to read the capabilities from the PCI config space

-Brian

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:07 PM
  • Thanks everyone.

One more question - is it possible to force the opposite, i.e. tell the OS to use MSI even if MSI-X is available? E.g., switching the MSI-X capability bit to off and MSI capability bit to on by utilizing NdisMSetBusData.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 9:58 PM
  • If you want this to test the driver in MSI mode - can your firmware folks just hide the MSI-X capability? At Intel, they can make up anything ;)

-- pa

But the capabilities are reported from PCI config space to the OS during device enumeration, isn't it so? That's before firmware kicks in :)
    Wednesday, March 25, 2015 11:29 PM
  • ?? The configuration space is created by the firmware on power-up... usually. Ask your h/w folks...

-- pa

Whatever piece of SW that can run during power up must be in device ROM, i.e. embedded in production - and that's exactly what we're trying to avoid by trying to enable the configuration by SW without altering the HW.
    Saturday, March 28, 2015 2:19 PM