none
XDDM Dual Monitor + Windows Media Player RRS feed

• Question

• We have a virtual machine that emulates a custom VGA/VBE graphics device.  I have written an XDDM driver that interacts with the graphics device, with the main purpose being to enable dual monitors within the virtual machine.  Dual monitors works fine in both Windows XP and Windows 7 (the two guests we care about).

The issue I'm having is that when playing any video file with Windows Media Player 12 on Windows 7, the video playback fails when the player is dragged onto the second screen.  It works fine on the first screen.  Other media players, such as VLC, are able to play the same video files fine on both screens.

Basically, when half or more of the video is on the second screen, my display driver starts getting spammed with DrvGetModes() calls, and my miniport driver starts getting spammed with IOCTL_VIDEO_GET_CHILD_STATUS.  Sometimes the video stops playing immediately, sometimes it plays for awhile an then stops playing.  When it stops, I get the error "Windows Media Players cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file."

So far, the only somewhat relevant issue I've seen posted by others is here: http://www.techtalkz.com/microsoft-device-drivers/406958-screen-flash-vista-64-xpdm-video-drivers.html  That person is seeing a different symptom, but they're seeing the same sequence of calls in their display and miniport drivers that I'm seeing.  I have tried disabling Desktop Window Manager but the problem persists.

I would greatly appreciate any help or guidance.  I've been trying everything I can think of for 3 days and haven't come up with any explanation for what's going on. 

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:34 PM