none
Refresh Proc in Server Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• This has probably been discussed before, but I've been unable to find anything via search.

I have a proc that I have dragged to the method pane.  Everything works ok.  I modified the proc on the server and return to the Linq to SQL designer.  I understand that I must delete the existing "method" and redrag the proc.  I'm ok with that, but the code generator is not picking up on the fact that my proc now returns an additional column.  That was the only change to the sproc on the server - add 1 extra column to the result set.

I can get this to work if I shut down VS08 and restart.  It is as though the server explorer is doing some sort of cache and performing a refresh does not work.  It does not work to delete the connection and re-create it.  Only shutting down VS solves it and that is a royal PITA.

Any clue what's going on?  Is there a setting somewhere that I missed?

Thanks,

David Martin

Monday, July 28, 2008 5:57 PM

Answers

• This would indeed appear to be a caching bug somewhere between the Server Explorer and LINQ to SQL classes designer.

One workaround that is a little easier than restarting VS is to rename the SP after you change it in SQL Management Studio, refresh the Stored Procedures section in Visual Studio's Server Explorer then rename it back in Management Studio and refresh again in Server Explorer then drag it to the surface.

This is not an ideal scenario but I can't see any easier way at this time.

[)amien

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 1:17 AM