Error "Hardware MFT failed to start streaming due to lack of hardware resources"

Question

• Windows.Media.Devices.VideoDeviceController.GetMediaStreamProperties(MediaStreamType mediaStreamType) works fine usually, but occasionally triggers the following System.Exception:

"Hardware MFT failed to start streaming due to lack of hardware resources"

Could anyone shed some light on this exception? What are the possible causes?

Hong

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 3:15 AM

Answers

• The error message is described here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj124101.aspx

0xC00D3704 : MF_E_HW_MFT_FAILED_START_STREAMING

This error occurs when the device cannot enter the run state.

Check that the device is able to transition through all states without failure, or that other pins aren’t preventing the device from entering a state.

Multiple cameras might prevent each other from streaming due to bus allocation failure. Please ensure that each camera has enough bandwidth to stream. This can be impaired by other devices using the same bus, including other cameras.

It seems that your camera needs to be checked for state before you transition into a different state.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Marked as answer by Hong (MA, USA) Tuesday, October 28, 2014 1:33 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:53 PM

All replies

• The error message is described here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj124101.aspx

0xC00D3704 : MF_E_HW_MFT_FAILED_START_STREAMING

This error occurs when the device cannot enter the run state.

Check that the device is able to transition through all states without failure, or that other pins aren’t preventing the device from entering a state.

Multiple cameras might prevent each other from streaming due to bus allocation failure. Please ensure that each camera has enough bandwidth to stream. This can be impaired by other devices using the same bus, including other cameras.

It seems that your camera needs to be checked for state before you transition into a different state.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

• Marked as answer by Hong (MA, USA) Tuesday, October 28, 2014 1:33 PM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:53 PM
  • Thanks a lot for the information, Matt.  Now, I have a good sense about where to look into this.

Hong

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 1:33 PM