win32 project build for support windows store " warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference ... "

Question

• I am rebuilding my win32 project (create lib) for supporting windows store use VS2012 by switch "support windows store app" item to "Yes"

I get the warnings below :

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.Targets(1578,5): warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "System". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.
    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.Targets(1578,5): warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "System.Data". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.
    C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.Targets(1578,5): warning MSB3245: Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "System.Xml". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors.

and when Generating coding also get warning :

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v11.0\AppxPackage\Microsoft.AppXPackage.Targets(1541,9): warning APPX1901: The DefaultLanguage property is either missing from the project file or does not have a value. The fallback language is set to the Visual Studio language: en-US.

I feel these warnings will impact on running . How can I solve it ?

Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

We cannot build a Windows Store App direct based on a Win32 App. The Windows Store App doesn't have the message loop. We need to change lots of things to create a Windows Store App.

I would suggest you to begin with the template. XAML template or Direct X template.
    Hope these tutorials can help you
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh974580.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br229580.aspx

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Jesse Jiang Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:55 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 6:36 AM
  • Can you clarify what exactly you have right now? C++ or C#? Static library, DLL, or application EXE?  32-bit or x64 native?

Generally you can't build the same kind of code for both a Win32 desktop application and a Windows Store app. They have very different security models, deployment models, input mechanisms, UI and presentation models, etc. Also Windows Store apps can only use a restricted subset of Win32 APIs, and many of the new WinRT APIs are not available to Win32 desktop applications or more importantly down-level to older versions of Windows.

Depending on what exactly it is doing, you can in practice make a C++ static library or DLL 'sharable' between both kinds of apps. See Dual-use Coding Techniques for Games.

• Proposed as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, April 15, 2013 2:22 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 10:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We cannot build a Windows Store App direct based on a Win32 App. The Windows Store App doesn't have the message loop. We need to change lots of things to create a Windows Store App.

I would suggest you to begin with the template. XAML template or Direct X template.
    Hope these tutorials can help you
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh974580.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br229580.aspx

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, April 12, 2013 6:36 AM
  • Hi Jesse ,

if as you said , what is the function of item " support windows store app " item in VS2012 ?

I just want to make my exist source code to support windows store .

I can create a new windows store dll project and add my exist code in to build a windows store dll , by this way also build the same code , I think it is no different from switching the support item to "Yes" in the original Win32 project . Right ?

If there is message loop or other special case of windows desktop style , I will make some change to adapt to windows store style .

Friday, April 12, 2013 7:20 AM
  • Can you clarify what exactly you have right now? C++ or C#? Static library, DLL, or application EXE?  32-bit or x64 native?

Generally you can't build the same kind of code for both a Win32 desktop application and a Windows Store app. They have very different security models, deployment models, input mechanisms, UI and presentation models, etc. Also Windows Store apps can only use a restricted subset of Win32 APIs, and many of the new WinRT APIs are not available to Win32 desktop applications or more importantly down-level to older versions of Windows.

Depending on what exactly it is doing, you can in practice make a C++ static library or DLL 'sharable' between both kinds of apps. See Dual-use Coding Techniques for Games.

• Proposed as answer by Jesse Jiang Monday, April 15, 2013 2:22 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2013 10:15 PM
  • Hi Chuck,

Thanks for your explain !

I have C++ source code for DLL 32-bit native for desktop App right now , I want to make the exist source code to support Windows Store apps .

I had build a blank Windows Store DLL project and  migrate my exist code to it and replace the Windows API just for desktop by API support Windows Store .

at last , I found it the same with witching the " support windows store app " item to "Yes".

Monday, April 22, 2013 5:33 AM