none
Master and slave templates? RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently creating word templates for our companies. The template design is always the same, but depending on the company, multiple texts change.

We need separate dotx files as we have multiple apps that use the templates to create PDFs.

The issue I am facing is that when the design or the layout changes, I currently have to change 12 dotx files and implement those changes. That will be very time consuming and mistakes can easily happen.

I am looking for a way to have a master template from where I can derive 12 slave templates. When I change the layout, the design or certain text elements, this should be reflected in the slace templates.

The slave templates will also be accessible to the users. The master not necessarily.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 8:46 PM

Answers

• I don't know what approach is best and that is why I ask. But if there are other options that are more usable or better, I am open for suggestions. I never did template or tempalte programming, so I do not know how you approach something like that.

If it were possible that I can do that having a single "master" DOTX document in which I click a button that generates and saves a dozen "slave" DOTX documents, that would be my preferred solution. Those templates do not have to be linked in any way, like e. g. a document is linked to a template.

Anyway, I started reading more about VSTO and started with what I think is called an document-level project where I plan to edit some bookmarks and save the new file as a new template. I still have questions and I would appreciate help on the topic. It can be found here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/f318d694-3b21-47d9-8bc6-b75a4036229e/applicationlevel-template-create-copy-of-current-document-store-in-variable-and-access-bookmarks?forum=vsto

Still... if there are better approaches, I am interested to learn.

• Marked as answer by ϻοϰsϯεr Monday, May 30, 2016 2:44 PM
    Monday, May 30, 2016 2:44 PM

All replies

• Hi ϻοϰsϯεr,

First of all I want to confirm with you that which approach you want to use for this issue?

do you want a solution by using User Interface or you want a solution using word automation.

Here my understanding regarding your issue is you want to generate Template from Template.

and you called it as a parent template and the templates created by that parent templates can be known as child templates.

but here I think that you can't make a Template from another Template.

Template can be use to create another documents.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, May 26, 2016 3:26 AM
  • I don't know what approach is best and that is why I ask. But if there are other options that are more usable or better, I am open for suggestions. I never did template or tempalte programming, so I do not know how you approach something like that.

If it were possible that I can do that having a single "master" DOTX document in which I click a button that generates and saves a dozen "slave" DOTX documents, that would be my preferred solution. Those templates do not have to be linked in any way, like e. g. a document is linked to a template.

Anyway, I started reading more about VSTO and started with what I think is called an document-level project where I plan to edit some bookmarks and save the new file as a new template. I still have questions and I would appreciate help on the topic. It can be found here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/f318d694-3b21-47d9-8bc6-b75a4036229e/applicationlevel-template-create-copy-of-current-document-store-in-variable-and-access-bookmarks?forum=vsto

Still... if there are better approaches, I am interested to learn.

• Marked as answer by ϻοϰsϯεr Monday, May 30, 2016 2:44 PM
    Monday, May 30, 2016 2:44 PM