none
Connecting to Azure Data Lake Store from Tableau or Qlik

Question

• According to the marketing pages on Azure Data Lake, you should be able to connect to it using tools like Tableau or Qlik. I was told the implementation of ADL resembles Hortonworks Hadoop most closely, so I tried the Hortonworks Hadoop Hive ODBC connector in Tableau, but without success so far. Does anybody know what connection details to use when trying to connect to ADL from tools like these? It's asking for a server name and port number, I of course tried the URL's and URI's I have from ADL, but all result in only error messages from Tableau...

Friday, December 18, 2015 7:52 AM

All replies

• Hello Hans, there is a driver that you can download specifically for HDInsight, and you can find the instructions here: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/hdinsight-connect-excel-hive-odbc-driver/

Let us know if you've got any questions!

--mw

Program Manager -- hadoop -- http://blogs.msdn.com/mwinkle

Friday, December 18, 2015 5:07 PM
  • Hi Hans

Do you want to connect to U-SQL queries from Tableau? This requires interactive support for U-SQL which is on our roadmap but not yet available.

Do you want access to CSV like files stored in the Azure Data Lake Storage account? Then you could use some of the WebHDFS connectors of these tools, if they have them.

Do you want to use HDInsight's Hive connectors to read data from the ADL Storage account? Then you should be able to use the ODBC connector that Matt mentions.

Michael Rys

• Proposed as answer by Michael Amadi Saturday, January 16, 2016 8:48 AM
    Saturday, December 19, 2015 7:38 AM
  • I think the queston is how can you connect to Azure Data Lake Store directly from Tableau Desktop (using WebHDFS connector or a specific ADL protocol connector). Microsoft's PowerBI can do this, so Tableau better work on a connector as well for customers who want to still use Tableau but are adopting Azure services like Data Lake Store.
    Monday, May 22, 2017 9:02 PM