Whats the deal with "two-line descriptions" for icons on the appbar RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have an app called "ToDo Master" up in the Marketplace, and one thing that surprised me after downloading it to my phone from the marketplace was that the descriptions for the appbar icons were all of the sudden in one line and with the text cut off.
    In testing on my phone this was not the case. There were two lines (obviously with the whole text).
    I then thought maybe the "bug" was when I tested it previously, because after the download I could not recreate the two-line-description.

Today after making minor changes the description were again two lines (in testing) - and even more surprisingly I noticed that on the "Deutsche Bahn Navigator" App (An App to search train-schedules mainly for the German market - I have no Idea if it is available elsewhere) also has the description to an icon in two rows ("zu favoriten" after you searched a train ride)...

So - what is the deal with descriptions - does they need to be in one line? How could the DB Navigator App could make a two-line description (Maybe they reprogrammed the whole thing?)

regards
    Sunday, March 20, 2011 8:51 PM

Answers

• I've also seen this behavior. In the English version of an app I am creating, I have a button that says 'move to top', but the localized German title is (that phrase in german) which is two lines long. If I try to just make the English string longer, the text gets cut off instead of wrapping. Using localized strings, i've also been able to make the AppBar have capital letters, whereas in XAML previously they were all lowercase.
    Monday, March 21, 2011 9:42 PM
  • I don't know the particulars, but the design of the AppBar was that 1 line of text was for English, and the second line was only for non-English text (due to the typically longer translations). It may trigger based of the UI language of your phone... I don't know for sure though.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:58 AM

All replies

• Does anyone have a clue regarding this? I think it's dumb and annoying that I have to come up with weird abbreviations to describe my icons...
    Monday, March 21, 2011 9:30 PM
  • I've also seen this behavior. In the English version of an app I am creating, I have a button that says 'move to top', but the localized German title is (that phrase in german) which is two lines long. If I try to just make the English string longer, the text gets cut off instead of wrapping. Using localized strings, i've also been able to make the AppBar have capital letters, whereas in XAML previously they were all lowercase.
    Monday, March 21, 2011 9:42 PM
  • @AwesomeMic, for us to understand, can you post an image showing two lines of text for app bar icons while in testing? You can post it to your SkyDrive in the public area and provide the link here, if you don't have any other methods.

Secondly, have checked in the regional customization documention if any differences between English and other languages? Or is it that the icon text is translated on the fly? I don't know if any such things are happening. If you can't find any documentation or blog post on this, then only MS Pros watching this post should be able to answer it.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:09 AM
  • I don't know the particulars, but the design of the AppBar was that 1 line of text was for English, and the second line was only for non-English text (due to the typically longer translations). It may trigger based of the UI language of your phone... I don't know for sure though.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 2:58 AM
  • Ahh this seems to be indeed the case. It's a minor issue, but I think they should allow a second row for the English Language also. It's really hard sometimes to describe the behavior of an icon in only 11 chars. Anyway, thanks for the heads up.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:22 PM