none
Prevent End User access to Back End Data RRS feed

• Question

• Bit of background.  I've got an 'ancient' IT background (mainframes/Cobol etc) before I moved onto Project Management.  More recently I did a bit of Access/VBA work.  I've attempting to learn and use a wee bit of vb forms work to (a) keep the grey stuff active and (b) help a small NFP with some ot their office work.  They've got a pretty standard Office Network - server and PCs (with remote workers logging on with laptops).

The Project that I'm looking at is to help them manage data collected in Excel spreadsheets.  The issue that we need to address is that, while the spreadsheets will be on a shared network drive, we want to control access to them e.g. restricting access to permitted sheets and preventing unauthorised deletion of any spreadsheets. 

If Forms is not suitable for such a task, I'm happy to take direction to that effect.  If forms is suitable, then I'd appreciate suggestions on a broad outline of the approach to follow.

Thanks

Saturday, November 9, 2019 4:05 PM

Answers

• To prevent deletion of any spreadsheet or any file for that matter should be done by 

And this comes from "They've got a pretty standard Office Network - server and PCs (with remote workers logging on with laptops)."

• Active directory group policy setup by whomever manages the network.
    • Ensure the shared drive has proper backups
    • Have a written policy that is sent out to users with permissions (see bullet 1) that files can not be deleted.

An alternative is to store the data in a database on a server and if an Excel spreadsheet is needed using SQL-Server database you can export to Excel. With SQL-Server there are many options to protect data.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

• Marked as answer by Mike W12345 Sunday, November 10, 2019 2:50 PM
    Sunday, November 10, 2019 10:43 AM

All replies

• To prevent deletion of any spreadsheet or any file for that matter should be done by 

And this comes from "They've got a pretty standard Office Network - server and PCs (with remote workers logging on with laptops)."

• Active directory group policy setup by whomever manages the network.
    • Ensure the shared drive has proper backups
    • Have a written policy that is sent out to users with permissions (see bullet 1) that files can not be deleted.

An alternative is to store the data in a database on a server and if an Excel spreadsheet is needed using SQL-Server database you can export to Excel. With SQL-Server there are many options to protect data.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

• Marked as answer by Mike W12345 Sunday, November 10, 2019 2:50 PM
    Sunday, November 10, 2019 10:43 AM
  • Hi Karen, thanks for your reply.  Your answer confirms what I suspected, that protection is essentially down to recognised best practise. 

With regard to storing the data in a database, in many respects this would actually offer a better overall solution.  It offers much better control and integration of data, and subsequently much improved reporting.  The issue here is the need to implement and support another technology – though it would provide more exercise for those grey cells.

Thanks again for your response.

Sunday, November 10, 2019 2:51 PM