Load Test Execution from Command Prompt, Can we change the Load Scenario Settings(User Load) through Command prompt RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Please help in the below scenario.

• We have designed a set of scripts for a product.
    • We need to run the Load Scenario for the product on regular release basis (no need to modify the scripts)
    • Now we need to run the scenario from a Continuous integration tool (Jenkins) i.e. start the Loadtest from command prompt (execute the command prompt from the Jennkins tool). Also the Load test is emulated perfectly and we are able to obtain the results.
    • Hurdle faced by Us: we have to emulate the same Loadtest file from Jenkins sequentially by changing the User load profile (i.e. we have to modify the "file.loadtest" xml file's User Count tag to say 5,10,25,50,75,100...... )
    • As a partial solution we can create multiple Loadtest files such as "Product_1User, Product_5User, Product_10User    ...." and trigger the loadtest via Jenkins in sequential order,
    • but the problem here is we will not be able to create a Performance Trend report for that particular release from VSTS 2012 tool due to the change in "Loadtest" filename

Do we have a alternate way to edit the Loadtest file on the fly via command prompt mode.??? or is there any solution so that we can trigger multiple Load test run with the same "Loadtest file" also changing the User Load

eg: this sought of feature was available in Load UI tool.

Thanks

Sritharan

Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:37 AM

Answers

• Hello Sritharan,

Thank you for your post.

Do we have a alternate way to edit the Loadtest file on the fly via command prompt mode.??? or is there any solution so that we can trigger multiple Load test run with the same "Loadtest file" also changing the User Load

Based on your description, it seems that running load tests from VS 2012 can’t meet your requirements. And as far as I know, there is no command-line options used to modify the user load.

And if you redirect to use a Continuous integration tool (Jenkins) to accomplish what you want, but you don’t know if and how you can change the user load though command prompt from the Jenkins tool, since Jenkins tool is a third party tool, I am afraid that the issue is out of support range of VS testing forum. I suggest that you can ask for help from http://jenkins-ci.org/content/chat to check how to resolve this issue. You will get better solutions and support from Jenkins.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, February 22, 2013 2:36 AM
  • Hi Sritharan,

A possible work around for this is to change users loads based off of a webtest plugin. Sean Lumley's blog describes a plugin which reads from a file and changes the user load of the scenario. You might be able to include this in your script and control the number of users via a data file. This approach has some downsides, it will require custom code and it won't change your warmup time duration.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/slumley/archive/2009/04/10/load-test-plug-ins.aspx

Regards,

Matt M.

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:29 PM

All replies

• Context variables may be set from environment variables. So the numbers might, one at a time, be used to set the context variable and that variable used in the load tests.

I am not sure whether a context variable can be directly used in the load profile settings, but it should be easy to write a load test plugin where the Initialize method sets the required values.

A little bit of web searching will find the detail of context variables and environment variables, also of load test plugins.

Regards

Adrian

Thursday, February 21, 2013 12:00 PM
  • Hello Sritharan,

Thank you for your post.

Based on your description, it seems that running load tests from VS 2012 can’t meet your requirements. And as far as I know, there is no command-line options used to modify the user load.

And if you redirect to use a Continuous integration tool (Jenkins) to accomplish what you want, but you don’t know if and how you can change the user load though command prompt from the Jenkins tool, since Jenkins tool is a third party tool, I am afraid that the issue is out of support range of VS testing forum. I suggest that you can ask for help from http://jenkins-ci.org/content/chat to check how to resolve this issue. You will get better solutions and support from Jenkins.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, February 22, 2013 2:36 AM
  • In the meantime, can you just create a single Load Test that gradually ramps up to the desired concurrency in the increments you desire? It may not be the best solution, but it would save you from maintaining several Load Tests.

Regards, Matthew Adcock RTTS

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:14 PM
  • Hi Sritharan,

A possible work around for this is to change users loads based off of a webtest plugin. Sean Lumley's blog describes a plugin which reads from a file and changes the user load of the scenario. You might be able to include this in your script and control the number of users via a data file. This approach has some downsides, it will require custom code and it won't change your warmup time duration.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/slumley/archive/2009/04/10/load-test-plug-ins.aspx

Regards,

Matt M.

Friday, February 22, 2013 7:29 PM