Migration (Sqlserver 2014 - SqlServer 2016) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Here is a small scale project of migrating few databases from SQL2014 to new server/virtual machine SQL2016. Setup for in memory OLTP and Columnstore index required. Can any body help in mentioning good tutorial (specific for this purpose) or guidelines also what version (link please) of sql server migration assistant can be used. thanks  

• Edited by RoshN Friday, February 10, 2017 9:45 PM
    Friday, February 10, 2017 5:00 PM

All replies

• Does it involves mirroring ?

Well you can perform inplace upgrade of SQL Server 2014 to SQL Server 2016 if it satisfies upgrade matrix.

You need to first run SQL Server 2016 upgrade advisor. The first link has details

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Friday, February 10, 2017 5:55 PM
  • Thanks for reply. But it is required to migrate db from 2014 server to  new hardware/vm sql 2016 rather than in-place upgrade. 
    Friday, February 10, 2017 6:16 PM
  • I have tested the upgrade process using backups and restores. The tables (columnstore and inmemory) are restored intact and have the new SQL 2016 functionality.

I suggest you try this approach.

Friday, February 10, 2017 7:06 PM
  • Thanks for reply. But it is required to migrate db from 2014 server to  new hardware/vm sql 2016 rather than in-place upgrade. 

Then you must backup the database and restore it on SQL Server 2016. This is the best way. After this script out logins and jobs and migrate them as well

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Saturday, February 11, 2017 9:30 AM
  • If you can have a minimum downtime, restore Full backup with norecovery on your new sql 2016, close application, take a backup log tail and restore it with recorevy on your new sql 2016 instance, recconnect your application.

But if you know how to build an alwayson cluster just add your new sql 2016 node to the same cluster and failover to it, and then remove the old instance from the cluster.

BRUNO SOUZA

Sunday, February 12, 2017 3:46 PM