none
Launch word stored in SQL db in browser RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have an application where we have a .net application doing some content management and storing word documents in SQL db. Is it possible to launch word documents stored in SQL to directly open in browser in Office Online?

Any inputs will be helpful. Thanks.

-http://lrathi.blogspot.com

Monday, April 7, 2014 2:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Office Online enables us to access and share Office documents with browser-based versions of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote. We could only use Office Online on OneDrive or as part of your Office 365 service for quick viewing of documents on SharePoint. So I’m afraid we cannot open the document stored in SQL Server in browser directly.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 9:07 AM

All replies

• Hello Laxmikant,

Do you want to open a document in the browser app or local Word instance?

Word documents represent only data. You can't launch data, you need to run the host application for opening a file. 

Monday, April 7, 2014 3:07 PM
  • Hi,

Office Online enables us to access and share Office documents with browser-based versions of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote. We could only use Office Online on OneDrive or as part of your Office 365 service for quick viewing of documents on SharePoint. So I’m afraid we cannot open the document stored in SQL Server in browser directly.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 9:07 AM
  • Hi Luna,

Thanks for your response. It is very helpful.

So instead of Office Online can I leverage Office Web Apps Server for achieving this. I guess Office Web Apps Server is available as stand alone product.

Thanks.

-http://lrathi.blogspot.com

Tuesday, April 8, 2014 2:20 PM
  • Hi,

>>So instead of Office Online can I leverage Office Web Apps Server for achieving this.<<

Yes, I think you can do that.

Office Web Apps Server is a new Office server product that delivers browser-based versions of Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote. A single Office Web Apps Server farm can support users who access Office files through SharePoint 2013, Lync Server 2013, Exchange Server 2013, shared folders, and websites. (From Office Web Apps Server overview)

More details please refer to Plan Office Web Apps Server.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 3:13 AM