none
Custom folders in Outlook, connected to non-Exchange data stores RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I want to learn more about how to do an integration like the one Scinaptic does.  They have several folders that show up in the left side of Outlook where emails can be dragged.  This presumably invokes a web service on some remote server.  I have searched on all sorts of terms but haven't found what I'm looking for.  Can someone point me to the MSDN documentation for this?  I'll need to know both about the web service signatures and also how this gets set up in Outlook.

Also, if you have any experience with the limitations of this sort of integration I'd be interested in hearing that also.

Thanks

Thursday, September 11, 2014 4:43 PM

Answers

• Hello,

These are regular folders, not custom.

Folders represents a regular store (named OnePlaceMail according to the screenshot) which you may add using the AddStore or AddStoreEx methods of the Namespace class. When items are dropped to a folder, the default action is cancelled and a web service call is made in the background to transfer a file. You can handle the BeforeItemMove event of the Folder class to cancel the moving operation. It is fired when an item is about to be moved or deleted from a folder, either as a result of user action or through program code.Also you may find the ItemAdd event of the Items class helpful. It is fired when one or more items are added to the specified collection. This event does not run when a large number of items are added to the folder at once (more than 16). 

Please understand that if you develop a .Net based add-in all BCL classes are available for you. There is no difference in calling a web service from the add-in. See How to: Call a Web Service for more information.

P.S. In case if you need to call the Scinaptic web service programmatically without Outlook I'd suggest contacting them get the required info.

• Marked as answer by bmm6o Friday, September 12, 2014 10:39 PM
    Thursday, September 11, 2014 5:22 PM