Delay Notification RRS feed

• Question

• User1042557682 posted

Hello All!

I have started getting this really annoying problem with VS 2005. Quite often when I run a website with visual studio when I have pressed stop, although it looks like it has thoroughly stopped when I try and do anything I get a "Delay Notification" pop up saying: that its waiting for an operation to complete and contact Microsoft if I encounter this problem often.

I used to only get this as I said above when I had just run a website but now its also happening when I just try and open another page, this time however (the reason I was prompted to post this) is that it has happened for no apparent reason! All I did was minimise Visual Studio and go to one of my folders and when I came back I got this "Delay Notification"

The major problem is that no matter which button I press (either "Switch to" or "Continue Waiting") or how ever long I wait it wont go away! I have to restart Visual Studio using ctrl alt delete and if I haven't just saved my work I lose it!

I occasionally get this problem with SQL server 2005 as well but not nearly as often as I am getting it with Visual Studio!

Has any one got any suggestions what I can do to stop this happening?
    Or could it be something to do with my actual computer?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Becky

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 8:28 AM

All replies

• User-1363174918 posted

When you stop debugging, the debugger needs to detach from IE. This involves making cross-process calls using RPC (remote procedure call) and in most cases RPC makes the call by posting Windows messages to the target application or service and waiting for the message to be processed. Windows message mechanism guarantees that applications that were not writted to be free threaded won't be reentered until they return prom the previous RPC call. Long waits may be caused by application not processing the message or by getting too many messages so the RPC call is getting lost. I would try to disable any utilities running in the background and see if the situation improves. Check also that you don't have mapped network drives that went offline.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 4:56 PM
  • User-1216805360 posted

I am getting the delay notification early and often, especially when working with aspx and ascx files in Visual Studio 2008. This is not a problem when working in the code behind .cs source code files. We work in a corporate environment and so disabling background processes/utilities is not an option. I have applied all the hotfixes for Visual Studio 2008. Is there a fix in the works via a service patch ? Thanks.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 2:12 PM
  • User708331725 posted

i'm also getting same error. Suddenly today i started getting delay notification. All i am doing. writing some code in .aspx file.

If i switch between two doc in vs or try to save any file it just hangs. and cpu usage goes upto 70-75% i dont have any other application running. I have also stopped oracle service. Only thing unusual i found was ekrn.exe of eset nod32 was also using high cpu. is this proecess giot something to do with vs2008?

Has anyone found root cause of the problem?

Regards,

Puneri. 

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 9:52 AM
  • User-1363174918 posted

NOD32 is Norton Antivirus as fas as I know. It is intersepting all disk I/O operations and hence may be causing conflicts and delays in file writing. Try stopping it and see if saving time improves. Perhaps there is update to it available as well.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009 1:01 PM
  • User-599782953 posted

Try killing iexplorer.exe thread from current processes.

Works for me.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:13 AM