Help shortcut being created in \Windows\Start Menu RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Visual Studio to create a cab project for my VB project. I am placing a help file in the \Windows directory and creating a link to this help in the \Windows\Help directory.

When I install my cab on Pocket PC 2003 it stalls correctly. When I try to install it on Windows Mobile 5.0 an extra shortcut is being created in the \Windows\Start Menu directory using the same name as the shortcut that is being created in the \Windows\Help directory.

This is causing my help to show up on the Start Menu - which I really don't want to have happen.

Anyone else run into this? Is there a workaround?

The following is the inf file that the cab project is creating for me (if that would help at all):

[Version]
    Signature="$Windows NT$"
    Provider="My Company"
    CESignature="$Windows CE$"

[CEStrings]
    AppName="AppInstall"
    InstallDir=%CE1%\%AppName%

[Strings]
    Manufacturer="My Company"

[CEDevice]
    VersionMin=3.0
    VersionMax=5.99
    BuildMax=0xE0000000

[DefaultInstall]
    CEShortcuts=Shortcuts
    AddReg=RegKeys
    CopyFiles=Files.Common1,Files.Common2,Files.Common3,Files.Common4,Files.Common5,Files.Common6,Files.Common7,Files.Common8,Files.Common9,Files.Common10
    CESetupDLL="setupdll.dll"

[SourceDisksNames]
    1=,"Common1",,"C:\SnapShot view\kerrn_view\pocket_pc\AppInstall Solution\AppInstall\"
    2=,"Common2",,"C:\SnapShot view\kerrn_view\pocket_pc\OpenNETCF\Lib v1.2\"
    3=,"Common3",,"C:\SnapShot view\kerrn_view\pocket_pc\AppInstall Solution\AppInstall\"
    4=,"Common4",,"C:\SnapShot view\kerrn_view\pocket_pc\AppInstall Solution\ADPClass\"
    5=,"Common5",,"C:\SnapShot view\kerrn_view\pocket_pc\AppInstall Solution\ADPClass\bin\Release\"
    6=,"Common6",,"C:\SnapShot view\kerrn_view\pocket_pc\AppInstall Solution\ADPClass\"
    7=,"Common7",,"C:\SnapShot view\kerrn_view\pocket_pc\AppInstall Solution\setupdll\ARMV4Rel\"
    8=,"Common8",,"C:\SnapShot view\kerrn_view\pocket_pc\AppInstall Solution\AppInstall\"
    9=,"Common9",,"C:\SnapShot view\kerrn_view\pocket_pc\AppInstall Solution\VehcicleScanInst\obj\Release\"
    10=,"Common10",,"C:\SnapShot view\kerrn_view\pocket_pc\AppInstall Solution\AppInstall\obj\Release\"

[SourceDisksFiles]
    "AppInstall.cpy"=1
    "OpenNETCF.dll"=2
    "AppInstall.htm"=3
    "PPCManifest.xsd"=4
    "ADPClass.dll"=5
    "PPCApps.xsd"=6
    "setupdll.dll"=7
    "AppInstall.reg"=8
    "VehicleScanInst.exe"=9
    "AppInstall.exe"=10

[DestinationDirs]
    Shortcuts=0,%CE2%\Start Menu
    Files.Common1=0,"Application"
    Files.Common2=0,"%CE1%\AppInstall"
    Files.Common3=0,"%CE2%"
    Files.Common4=0,"%CE1%\AppInstall"
    Files.Common5=0,"%CE1%\AppInstall"
    Files.Common6=0,"%CE1%\AppInstall"
    Files.Common7=0,"%CE1%\AppInstall"
    Files.Common8=0,"Application"
    Files.Common9=0,"%CE1%\VehicleScanInst"
    Files.Common10=0,"%CE1%\AppInstall"

[Files.Common1]
    "AppInstall.cpy","AppInstall.cpy",,0

[Files.Common2]
    "OpenNETCF.dll","OpenNETCF.dll",,0

[Files.Common3]
    "AppInstall.htm","AppInstall.htm",,0

[Files.Common4]
    "PPCManifest.xsd","PPCManifest.xsd",,0

[Files.Common5]
    "ADPClass.dll","ADPClass.dll",,0

[Files.Common6]
    "PPCApps.xsd","PPCApps.xsd",,0

[Files.Common7]
    "setupdll.dll","setupdll.dll",,0

[Files.Common8]
    "AppInstall.reg","AppInstall.reg",,0

[Files.Common9]
    "VehicleScanInst.exe","VehicleScanInst.exe",,0

[Files.Common10]
    "AppInstall.exe","AppInstall.exe",,0

[Shortcuts]
    "test",0,"AppInstall.htm","%CE2%\Help"
    "AppInstall",0,"AppInstall.exe","%CE11%"

[RegKeys]

Monday, June 12, 2006 5:56 PM

Answers

• Hi Nathan,

This is the expected behavior. If you extract your cab file generated by VS2005 and view the contents of _setup.xml you will see xml node for installing all the files added to "\<%CE2%>\Help" folder, even to "\<%CE2%>\Start Menu" folder. Hence this seems to be a bug in PPC2003 that shortcut is not getting added to Start Menu :-).

Workaround to prevent shortcut getting added to Start Menu: Change <%CE2%> in your INF File to "Windows" and regenerate the cab using cabwiz.exe (OR in VS2005 instead of adding "Windows" folder from context menu add a "Custom" folder from context menu and rename it as "Windows"). This will not install a shortcut to start menu.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,  Manish

Friday, July 7, 2006 11:01 AM