none
Kinect for Windows v2 commercial use RRS feed

• Question

• Is it true that Microsoft shut down the Kinect and is no longer providing support for this sensor.

I have Kinect sensor that I am using for scanning,  I would like to develop the application that I can use at work. Potentailly as a new method for collecting information. Can I do it with Kinect without violating the license. I am not using SDK software for that, at least not intend. 

Friday, September 15, 2017 8:40 AM

All replies

• Not sure if it's officially shut down but the K4W team does not actively participate in this thread anymore and the SDK has been stagnant since 2014 for the regular Win32 platform and there's a UWP version that's been created but not a direct port which dumps a lot of work to the developer due to their effort in accessing any camera in a generic way in terms of color,depth and perhaps some other common stream. I wouldn't exactly call it an update though. Nothing new has been added as far as I know. So it's safe to assume it's been shut down. Also most of the engineers from the K4W team have been assigned on the Hololens so..

You can develop commercial applications as far as I know. There have been many around.

When you say the SDK software , do you mean the samples?

Friday, September 15, 2017 11:04 AM