none
RTF file bloat in Word 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I have a 450pages .doc file with a lot of 1-bit images.

When I open this file in Word 2003 or 2007 and try to save in RTF fomat, the result file size is 512Mb and file corrupted. I know about restrictions of Word
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q211489

I made some experiments.
    I leave only one image in .doc file (test.doc) and save in RTF. Size of rtf file (saved in Word2003) is 144323 bytes.
    Please, see example test_Word2003.rtf

Then, I open.doc file in Word 2002/XP and save in RTF. Size if rtf file (saved in Word2002) is 78724 bytes. See example test_Word2002.rtf

The image in each RTF consist from two parts:
    1. PNG image
    2. Metafile

PNG part is identical in Word2002 and Word2003 RTF's.
    But metafile description in Word2003 RTF is twice more than Word2002 metafile part.

Qustion: How can I save RTF in Word2003 in the same filesize that Word 2002 ?

p.s. I know about an advantages of .docx format, but I need to save in RTF only.

Thank you.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 10:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Alexander,

Thanks for your post.

I think you can fix the issue by installing this hotfix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224663

Actually, this symptom is by design in Microsoft Word. If an EMF, a PNG, a GIF, or a JPEG graphic is inserted into a Word document, when the document is saved, two copies of the graphic are saved in the document. Graphics are saved in the applicable EMF, PNG, GIF, or JPEG format and are also converted to WMF (Windows Metafile) format.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards, Calvin Gao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:18 AM
  • Hi Calvin,

Thank you for your answer. I don't knew about it before.

I have tried create this registry key. After that rtf filesize is 14Mb only.
    BUT this rtf opens very long time in Word. I think Word spend time for create metafiles "on fly" for each images.
    And I don't exactly know, would or not create Word metafile representation  for inline objects like MathType, IsisDraw and etc? Metafiles for these object are very important to me.

My question was about different save process in rtf in Word 2002 and 2003. May be Word have registry key and for that ?

Friday, September 2, 2011 7:59 AM