When exactly is a page called customized in SP2007? RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to know when is a page called customized and has that 'i' icon besides it in the sharepoint designer. 

For example, i opened up a page in designer, added a simple webpart and then saved the file. On saving, it asked me whether i wished to customize it from the site definition. On clicking yes, the customized icon appears, denoting that it has been customized and been stored in the content database.

Now if i take another page and add a webpart via the internet browser and then open the page in sharepoint designer, i am not able to see the customization symbol next to it. This confused me. Does that mean that adding content through the web browser doesnt customise the page. Or the icon appears only for customizations done via the designer.

Pardon me if i sound stupid, but this has confusing me for a while.

Thanks

Saturday, April 21, 2012 10:33 AM

Answers

• I am assuming you are using SPD 2007. With MOSS 2007 the moment you try to change any code in the page it will be customised meaning unghosted and the layout and the content becomes part of the Content DB.

However in SP2010, you can have the same layout and alter the page as you want it rendered using SPD. It gives you the option to customise the page without changing the page layout, meaning if you want to customise just a list webpart on the page you can for instance turn it into a dvwp and this will not unghost.

Hope this helps.

San

Monday, April 23, 2012 1:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Take a look at this link. I think this will explain most of this for you.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/reset-a-customized-page-to-the-site-definition-HA010174145.aspx

It's a pretty big topic but in general customization means you're trying to create something (i.e. feature/functionality) that is not available out of the box from SharePoint. If you need to add anything to a page that's available to you out of the box, I'd suggest that you do it via your browser. But, if you're creating something new (i.e. a dataview web part for a list/library), then do it on a separate web part page. Then you can later export that web part via your browser and import it into your main page. This way the main page will not be detached from the site definition.

If you still need more info, just google about site definition

Hope that helps...

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/

Saturday, April 21, 2012 3:41 PM
  • Thanks Parvez for the info,

So if i take a page and don't mess with its layout, it should stay ghosted right? As far as i understand, SharePoint takes the layout structure from the local 12 hive(for ghosted pages) and combines it with content that is added from the database to render the page. And for unghosted pages, the layout and the content both come from the content database.

Please correct me if im wrong.

Saturday, April 21, 2012 6:43 PM
  • I am assuming you are using SPD 2007. With MOSS 2007 the moment you try to change any code in the page it will be customised meaning unghosted and the layout and the content becomes part of the Content DB.

However in SP2010, you can have the same layout and alter the page as you want it rendered using SPD. It gives you the option to customise the page without changing the page layout, meaning if you want to customise just a list webpart on the page you can for instance turn it into a dvwp and this will not unghost.

Hope this helps.

San

Monday, April 23, 2012 1:32 AM