none
Access a website database in C#? RRS feed

• Question

• First off the person I am developing a program for a friend's website. Is their a way to access his database with out password? I all I want to do is read information off it and I don't think he has a Web Service to return information in a method. I never see this person in person so I don't think he would give me his database password.

I was thinking on him creating a folder for the program on his site that returns values in the address for my program, but I was woundering if their was any other methods on doing this. Also no I don't think my friend has any much knowledge in the Web Service for methods for my Window application.
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 12:48 AM

All replies

•  

Well you need to have a connectionstring which uses either a database assigned username and password or Windows authentication. It depends what database you are using (MS Access or SQL) and how its set up. This is the first thing you need to investigate.

if its SQL Server and you are not using Windows Authentication, then you need a username and password to connect to it, without that you cannot connct ad do any operations.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 1:22 AM
  • First of all, databases don't have passwords --- users do.  And databases can have multiple users with different levels of permission.  IOWs, your friend can get you a userid/password which just has read-only access.

Sunday, April 20, 2008 1:24 PM