Does the profiler work with .NET 3.0 CLR versions? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Does the profiler work with .NET 3.0 CLR versions? My profiler does not works well in my WPF Application ,  When I click the "Collect .NET object allocation information " and "Also collect .NET object lifetime information", It can not generates reports with a incrementiing number(and I must Add report by myseft), The resulting vsp is always without method names, just method memory addresses. But in my another application(.NET 2.0), I have never found this problems.

Anyone help me?

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 3:22 AM

Answers

• suwh925,

Are you using the RTM version of VS 2005 or a newer Beta of Orcas? I've tested this on current Orcas bits and it works fine and properly resolves all symbols. If you are on VS 2005 I'll see if I can get a tester on our team to look into this issue ASAP.

~Ian

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:08 PM

All replies

• suwh925,

Are you using the RTM version of VS 2005 or a newer Beta of Orcas? I've tested this on current Orcas bits and it works fine and properly resolves all symbols. If you are on VS 2005 I'll see if I can get a tester on our team to look into this issue ASAP.

~Ian

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 8:08 PM
  •   Ian Huff,

I use the RTM version of VS 2005, Thank you for your good job,  the profiler is really a vary useful tool....

Thursday, July 19, 2007 1:29 AM
  • Glad that you find the profiler to be a useful tool. I've asked our testing team to get a VS 2005 version ready so that we can look at this scenario (memory allocation profiling a WPF application) checked out. In the meantime, you could try a couple of other things.

1. Try playing with your Tools->Options->Debugger->Symbols settings. This is what the profiler uses to resolve function names, so if they are not resolving correctly there may be some issues with your settings.

2. Try using the command line tools to profile your application (you can then load the .VSP file in the IDE for viewing). Check out my FAQ linked below for info on basic command line steps:

http://blogs.msdn.com/ianhu/archive/2006/04/07/571050.aspx

Thanks,

Ian

Thursday, July 19, 2007 3:51 PM
  • So I just grabbed a copy of VS2005 to check and I realized that WPF projects are not supported in default installs of VS2005. How exactly are you creating this .NET 3.0 projects?

~Ian

Thursday, July 19, 2007 5:19 PM