none
Kinect will not start in any capacity RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to determine if my Kinect for Windows v2 is not functioning properly or if it's another form of hardware issue.

I originally tried to get Kinect for Windows v2 to work on a decently high end desktop, though one that was old enough not to have a USB 3.0 port. That failed for understandable reasons, so I built a new machine in order to support Kinect integration.

I installed the SDK and plugged in the Kinect and found it would not power on. Power and data were plugged in and all looked well, but running the configuration tool told me that the USB 3.0 device on my motherboard was not quite up to Microsoft's standards as far as USB controllers go (This is an ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mk 1 motherboard with the ASMedia onboard controllers that apparently aren't good enough).

I bought a USB 3.0 card and installed that into the motherboard and plugged in the Kinect into that instead of directly into the motherboard. The configuration utility tells me that everything checks out except for "Verify Kinect Depth and Color Streams" and states that no frames were recieved, my FPS is 0, and both camera images appear completely black.

I opened up Device Manager and noticed immediately that WDF KinectSensor Interface 0 has an outstanding error with the error details of "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

I don't know any more information than this and from what I've researched, everything should be running smoothly with the device (and if it isn't, the device is way too picky / finnicky). I'm trying to determine if I've got a brick or a lost cause on my hands.

I feel like I'm missing an on / off switch or something. What's going on here?

- Matt Eland

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:13 AM

Answers

• At the suggestion of another user, I tried plugging into the output of the 20 pin USB 3.0 controller (which plugged into my Corsair 540 Air case's USB 3.0 ports). This worked absolutely fine, so the board was just finnicky enough not to allow direct connections or PCIe 2.0 connections, but did support the 20 pin functionality. Overall, not a great impression of Kinect or ASUS, but at least things seem to turn on now. Thanks for the assistance.

For reference, my graphics card is a Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750. I'll be happy to provide additional machine information if it will assist in future developers avoiding these problems.

- Matt Eland

• Marked as answer by Matt Eland Tuesday, September 30, 2014 3:10 AM
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 3:10 AM

All replies

• This is typically an indication of an internal hardware issue with how the USB3 Chipset and the connection it has with the motherboard PCIx Gen 2.0 bus of the system. If the chipset is not connected to Gen 2.0 it is not capable of the 5.0GB/s speeds that USB3 is capable of. In that case, the only way to work around that is to use a PCIx Gen 2.0 card and connect that to the PCix Gen 2.0 capable motherboard where that slot is Gen 2.0 enabled.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Monday, September 29, 2014 5:29 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. My processor is an older model that launched in the second quarter of 2014. It's just an Intel i7 4ghz model. The exact model is i-4790k. It's plugged into a Manhatten 150491 card which I had read on this forum is an acceptable card which is in turn plugged into a PCIe-2.0 slot on the ASUS Sabertooth Mk 1 Z97 motherboard. These are all brand new components that I have purchased to work with the Kinect and from my understanding of things should work perfectly fine to fantastically.

Additionally, the Kinect for Windows v2 sensor does not function when plugged into a 1st generation Surface Pro.

I am happy to provide additional pictures or information regarding this configuration in an attempt to get things working. I essentially built this machine to use the latest and greatest so that it could function well with the Kinect for Windows v2 sensor, so I'm extremely invested at this point.

- Matt Eland

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 2:11 AM
  • At the suggestion of another user, I tried plugging into the output of the 20 pin USB 3.0 controller (which plugged into my Corsair 540 Air case's USB 3.0 ports). This worked absolutely fine, so the board was just finnicky enough not to allow direct connections or PCIe 2.0 connections, but did support the 20 pin functionality. Overall, not a great impression of Kinect or ASUS, but at least things seem to turn on now. Thanks for the assistance.

For reference, my graphics card is a Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750. I'll be happy to provide additional machine information if it will assist in future developers avoiding these problems.

- Matt Eland

• Marked as answer by Matt Eland Tuesday, September 30, 2014 3:10 AM
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 3:10 AM