none
Expression Studio 4 RRS feed

• Question

• I ordered Expression Web 4 and have received Expression Studio 4 - Web Professional.  Is this the same thing and will the Jim Cheshire book cover this?

My website is written in FP and I am hoping that I can write it fairly easily with EW4.  !!

Saturday, April 13, 2013 3:24 PM

All replies

• Yes to all your questions (as long as you work throght Jim's book and learn some HTML and CSS basics first).

But EW4 has been free to download since late December. If you can return it, you might consider that.

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

Saturday, April 13, 2013 5:27 PM
  • EW4 was packaged with other programs.  The Professional version was packaged with Encoder and Design.

The now free version of EW4 is the same as the retail version of EW4, with the latest SP already installed.

Versions of Encoder and Design are also free to download now.

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/eng/

Saturday, April 13, 2013 9:08 PM
  • "Microsoft also now has a version of Visual Studio 2012 Express..."

Which is not a replacement for EW unless you are doing asp.net development.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 12:53 AM
  • Heh, heh... and not even then, really. A replacement, that is. Just as with EW and VWD, and the previous versions of VS Express, neither VS nor VWD have EW's design surface, and both are more suited for round-tripping—using EW for design work and VS/VWD for ASP.NET/database work. If ASP.NET isn't involved, neither offers what EW does for design.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 1:33 AM
  • "This is simply why I suggests grabbing Visual Studio 2012 Express simply to round out the tool collection"

A tool that means nothing if you are not developing asp.net sites, which was my point.

I do heavy-duty asp.net applications more than I do normal sites.  I know what Visual Studio can do and use it primarily, because of what most of my work is.  But for non-asp.net sites, I wouldn't touch it when I can use EW instead.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:23 AM
  • And, in case Vegan missed the point (which I'm sure he did)...

Visual Studio 2012 Express is totally inappropriate for someone who says..."My website is written in FP and I am hoping that I can write it fairly easily with EW4.  !!

Once again, VF completely failed to address an OP's question in order to spam the forum.

Things Liberal Arts graduates never like to hear:
    “…which means you are going first in Double Jeopardy.”

Sunday, April 14, 2013 3:40 AM
  • "I have 1 site I maintain in ASPX so I use Visual Studio for that, my own sites are long ago all PHP"

Just because you have one asp.net site does not mean the OP suddenly wants to learn asp.net.  The discussion is about one site, and one that is not an asp.net site.

"Its not too hard to make extensions for visual studio to support any type of project"

Why on earth would one want to when EW already exists, with no "extensions" required, for a non-asp.net site?

Sunday, April 14, 2013 6:02 AM