Keep getting "The specified container is being deleted." error when creating blob container RRS feed

• Question

• When creating a blob container with CloudBlobContainer.CreateIfNotExist(), I get this error:

"Failed to complete the operation. The specified container is being deleted. Try operation later."

This happens when I delete a blob container and try to create it again.

Monday, January 21, 2013 5:22 PM

Answers

• The way I understand this is the actual delete operation is an asynchronous operation. When you delete a blob container, it is not deleted right away but put is just marked for deletion so that no other operation can be performed on that container. Some other process actually deletes the blob container. The time it would take to actually delete the blob container would depend on the number of blobs in the blob container (same applies to tables as well when you delete the table). I have seen some posts in this forum where folks have waited for 24 hours or so for blob containers / tables to be deleted. I guess you only option at this time is to wait out.

I wish storage team has exposed these kinds of operations as truly asynchronous operations where when we send the request, it returns back us a status telling us if the request was accepted or declined and in case of an accepted request we should always get back an "operation id" using which we can track the progress of the delete operation.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by atilekt Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:57 AM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:34 AM

All replies

• According to the docs here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd179408.aspx, "a container with the same name cannot be created for at least 30 seconds".

Hell, it's been way longer than 30 seconds. It's now approaching 4 hours.

• Edited by atilekt Monday, January 21, 2013 5:59 PM
    Monday, January 21, 2013 5:57 PM
  • The way I understand this is the actual delete operation is an asynchronous operation. When you delete a blob container, it is not deleted right away but put is just marked for deletion so that no other operation can be performed on that container. Some other process actually deletes the blob container. The time it would take to actually delete the blob container would depend on the number of blobs in the blob container (same applies to tables as well when you delete the table). I have seen some posts in this forum where folks have waited for 24 hours or so for blob containers / tables to be deleted. I guess you only option at this time is to wait out.

I wish storage team has exposed these kinds of operations as truly asynchronous operations where when we send the request, it returns back us a status telling us if the request was accepted or declined and in case of an accepted request we should always get back an "operation id" using which we can track the progress of the delete operation.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by atilekt Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:57 AM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:34 AM