none
can not debug my code since the upgrade to SSMS 2016

Question

• HI, 

I was using SSMS 2012 and Visual studio 2013.

Recently I have upgraded the Visual studio 2013 to visual studio 2017 and upgrade my SSMS 2012 to SSMS 2016. Since the upgrade I can't debug any code my SSMS. The error I get is:

"Unable to load visual studio debugger component (vsdebugend.dll). If the problem persists, repair your installation from via 'add or remove programs' in control panel. 

I have searched the net and all I could find is to reported problem with the registry and fix by following command:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\coloader80.dll" 

However, this is not working for me and I still get the same error. 

How can I make the debugger in SSMS to work again. 

Thanks, 

Sami

Friday, March 17, 2017 3:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Sami,

From what I see with Process Monitor, SSMS.exe calls vsdebugend.dll under ‘C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\’ when you trying to start debugger in SSMS. Since the file ships with VS 2015 isolated shell(which include in SSMS setup), I would suggest you either repair SSMS 2016 installation, or repair VS 2015 isolated shell see how it goes.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,
    Lin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 2:27 AM
  • Hi, your analysis led to the following 'quick and dirty' solution : 

I copied the vsdebugeng.dll to the directory of ssms (c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\)

This solved the issue. 

• Proposed as answer by Rhodri Monday, May 22, 2017 1:56 PM
    Friday, March 24, 2017 3:34 PM
  • Hi, your analysis led to the following 'quick and dirty' solution : 

I copied the vsdebugeng.dll to the directory of ssms (c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\)

This solved the issue. 

it work for me too! thanks
    Wednesday, December 13, 2017 11:55 AM