Sharepoint 2013 Foundation - SORT by modified date on search result page RRS feed

• Question

• I couldn't find the search web part in SharePoint 2013 Foundation, how can I customize the search result page and make it SORT by modified date?

FOO

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 7:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Frank,

Are you searching in a search center (results.aspx Page) or in a site (osssearchresults.aspx page)?

If you are searching in osssearchresults.aspx page, you cannot customize the search result page and make it sort by modified date.

If you are searching in results.aspx page, you can customize the search result page and make it sort by modified date.

Navigate to results.aspx page->Edit page->Edit Search Results web part->Settings->choose Show sort dropdown->ok->stop editing:

Then navigate to the search results page, you can choose Date(Newest) and Date(Oldest) to sort search results by modified date:

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 2:19 AM
  • Hi Liza,

Is the setting you suggested available for SP 2013 FOUNDATION?

There is no way I can edit the search web part in FOUNDATION.

Regards,

Frank 

FOO

• Marked as answer by Frank Foo Friday, May 26, 2017 5:57 AM
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:46 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, it is  available for SP 2013 foundation.

Are you searching in a search center (results.aspx Page) or in a site (osssearchresults.aspx page)?

If you are searching in osssearchresults.aspx page, you cannot customize the search result page and make it sort by modified date.

Please offer the URL of the search results page.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:19 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Meeting/_layouts/15/osssearchresults.aspx?

Means there is no way I can customize this?

How about in SharePoint 2013 STANDARD or SharePoint 2016?

Regards,

Frank

FOO

Friday, May 19, 2017 7:32 AM
  • Hi Frank,

We can't customize the osssearchresults.aspx page no matter in SharePoint 2013 foundation or SharePoint 2013 STANDARD or SharePoint 2016.

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Friday, May 19, 2017 10:08 AM
  • Hi Liza,

1. Is Search Center always search for the entire web application?

Can I configure it to search only on a particular subsite in a <g class="gr_ gr_255 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Style multiReplace" data-gr-id="255" id="255">site </g>

<g class="gr_ gr_255 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear Style multiReplace" data-gr-id="255" id="255">collection</g>?

2. Can I eliminate the SORT drop down box in the result page and make it by default always return result sorted by modified date in descending order? 

Regards,

Frank

FOO

Saturday, May 20, 2017 12:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Frank,

If you are searching in results.aspx page, you can customize the search result page and make it sort by modified date.

Navigate to results.aspx page->Edit page->Edit Search Results web part->Settings->choose Show sort dropdown->ok->stop editing:

Then navigate to the search results page, you can choose Date(Newest) and Date(Oldest) to sort search results by modified date:

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 2:19 AM
  • Hi Liza,

Is the setting you suggested available for SP 2013 FOUNDATION?

There is no way I can edit the search web part in FOUNDATION.

Regards,

Frank 

FOO

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 4:46 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, it is  available for SP 2013 foundation.

Please offer the URL of the search results page.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:19 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Meeting/_layouts/15/osssearchresults.aspx?

Means there is no way I can customize this?

How about in SharePoint 2013 STANDARD or SharePoint 2016?

Regards,

Frank

FOO

Friday, May 19, 2017 7:32 AM
  • Hi Frank,

We can't customize the osssearchresults.aspx page no matter in SharePoint 2013 foundation or SharePoint 2013 STANDARD or SharePoint 2016.

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Friday, May 19, 2017 10:08 AM
  • Hi Liza,

1. Is Search Center always search for the entire web application?

Can I configure it to search only on a particular subsite in a <g class="gr_ gr_255 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Style multiReplace" data-gr-id="255" id="255">site </g>

<g class="gr_ gr_255 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear Style multiReplace" data-gr-id="255" id="255">collection</g>?

2. Can I eliminate the SORT drop down box in the result page and make it by default always return result sorted by modified date in descending order? 

Regards,

Frank

FOO

Saturday, May 20, 2017 12:10 PM