Trying to install on a Fujitsu Q550

Question

• I am trying to install the Developer Preview on a Fujitsu Q550 currently running Windows 7.  I mounted to ISO (Win 8 32-bit) using Magic ISO and ran Setup, but I keep getting the error - "Something Happened - Sorry, we're having trouble determining if your PC can run Windows Developer Preview.  Please close Setup and try again."

Any ideas??

Thanks.

Sanjay

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:25 PM

Answers

• Oddly enough, rebooting the machine up to grab a couple screenshots, I made it past the "Checking your PC" stage without error.

All it took was a reboot...?

Installing now.  <crossing fingers />

• Marked as answer by Sanjay.Akut Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:19 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:55 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same exact issue with my Q550.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:52 PM
  • Can you both post an error message/picture?
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:54 PM
  • Oddly enough, rebooting the machine up to grab a couple screenshots, I made it past the "Checking your PC" stage without error.

All it took was a reboot...?

Installing now.  <crossing fingers />

• Marked as answer by Sanjay.Akut Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:19 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:55 PM
  • I was able to install on a Q550 without issue.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:05 PM
  • Did you install from a mounted ISO or did you use external media?  I am trying the "reboot" fix now.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 4:50 PM
  • External media.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:23 PM
  • The reboot worked for me, it is installing now.

Thanks all!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:20 PM
  • how do you make an external USB drive bootable?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:59 PM
  • I installed Win8 from inside Win7. It then rebooted and completed the install.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:00 PM
  • I didn't boot from the USB drive. Within Windows 7 I plugged in a USB DVD drive with the Win8 disk and started the install process from there. It completed all required pre-install checks, copied required files to the hard drive then rebooted and completed the install automatically.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:05 PM
  • Yep - it all worked - I used Magic ISO to launch setup.exe and then it worked.  So far so good @15% - this is easy.  I can't wait!

Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:41 PM
  • Did you perform a custom install or upgrade? Did you have to install additional Win 7 hardware drivers from the Fujitsu web site after install? Looking to try it this weekend and wanted to find out if you encountered any hardware issues.

Thanks.

• Edited by panpan_69 Friday, September 16, 2011 5:59 AM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 5:58 AM
  • I did a custom install. This moved the old windows install to a windows.old folder and installed Win8 cleanly. I installed almost all the Win7 drivers from the Fujitsu website. Some, like the N-Trig digitizer needed to be unpacked and then the setup file needed to be set to Win7 compatibility mode.

If you find this helpful please vote or make as answered so other Q550 owners get the benefit.

Friday, September 16, 2011 12:47 PM
  • I did an upgrade on my Q550 from within Windows 7.  I burned the ISO to DVD first using a USB-connected drive.  Now I'm trying to figure out all the nuances of Windows 8.  Quite a paradigm shift...

The install worked fine, but I'm still figuring out how to reconnect my bluetooth keyboard, and get the apps up and running again, like Office, etc.

Friday, September 23, 2011 10:08 PM
  • I did a custom install. This moved the old windows install to a windows.old folder and installed Win8 cleanly. I installed almost all the Win7 drivers from the Fujitsu website. Some, like the N-Trig digitizer needed to be unpacked and then the setup file needed to be set to Win7 compatibility mode.

If you find this helpful please vote or make as answered so other Q550 owners get the benefit.

I just re-installed with a clean install -- booted from DVD (USB attached) -- even deleted the C: and D: partitions and created a new one, so it was totally clean.  Then I went to the Fujitsu web site and installed the drivers in order.  The ones that fail you can reset to Windows 7 compatibility mode (including Run as Administrator) and they seemed to load just fine.

Except the Device Manager is still showing an error for drivers not loaded for "N-Trig DuoSense BULK".  Anyone have suggestions on this?

Bottom line:  it took quite a bit of effort to load the drivers, but the clean install seems much snappier than upgrading Windows 7.  Except for that N-Trig bit, and an error on every reboot saying the Shock Sensor drivers aren't found, the system seems much more stable.

It's still pre-beta, but it's worth a load for me to see what's coming.

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:18 AM