Compass RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there I know, the compass is unfortunately not supported in the first version of the API. But today I read this: http://www.daveamenta.com/2011-01/compass-app-for-windows-phone-7/ Do you know how this is working? Will it also be possible to do it on the HTC's ? Or does anyone else know a trick to get the compass coordinates? - I really need them for my app, I want to develop... :S I really hope, it will have a compass after the update in February... thanks!
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:02 PM

All replies

• Casaout,

You're right, the compass API is not yet available. Also, I wouldn't have my expectations too high if I were you since the upcoming update is not likely to contain anything new for the compass. Your best luck is for the next "major" one rumored to be released later this summer (the "Mango" update).

As for aplication that do have compass-like features, I think they implement it with the Location (GPS or A-GPS) service. The catch is that they need you to move so they can have more than one data sample (different readings) and then, they compute the direction vector. Once done, they can provide you with your heading and thus simulate a compass.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 3:23 PM
  • hi RainSpin Thanks for your fast reply. This is also a possible solution, although I hope to get the compass update soon ;-) So I wont be able to develop an app (especially for Switzerland) like the augmented reality app "ScanSearch" for the LG Optimus 7? Thx
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Casaout,

I saw this app only once and it was on an Optimus 7 that did not have a data connection. Basically, I couldn't try it. Meanwhile, I can imagine what it was doing.

Since it seems that they actually had access to the compass, the application was likely a "first party" (LG being an OEM) that was using native code. Therefore, they could access the compass hardware and were not limited to the current Silverlight framework we're limited to.

Unfortunately, I think you won't be able to reproduce this behavior until later this summer with the "Mango" update (remember this is my opinion - I do hope I am wrong on this). Until then, maybe you can develop you're app and polish it while waiting for this API.

Anyone from the WP7 Team can add to this? Compass API access in a foreseeable future?
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:30 PM
  • Hi there I know, the compass is unfortunately not supported in the first version of the API. But today I read this: http://www.daveamenta.com/2011-01/compass-app-for-windows-phone-7/ Do you know how this is working? Will it also be possible to do it on the HTC's ? Or does anyone else know a trick to get the compass coordinates? - I really need them for my app, I want to develop... :S I really hope, it will have a compass after the update in February... thanks!

This is a homebrew demo.. as such, it's using features of the platform (including specific Samsung drivers for compass support) not allowed in the marketplace.

AR demos that exist have been done in a similar fashion.

Compass support at a platform level was noted during CTP as being nearly ready, but not of a sufficient standard to be suitable for release. We'll most likely hear more on this when it is part of an official announcement.
    Tuesday, January 18, 2011 9:56 PM
  • Although this is not the answer I hoped for, thank you both! :)
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:28 AM
  • No worries, let us know if anything else needed to Answer the question.
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 7:48 AM
  • i read this "being nearly ready, but not of a sufficient standard to be suitable for release" somewhere too. I am hoping, that the compass api will be included in the update, comming soon, but i don't think so. (because it was not anounced explicitly) :( I can't understand, why this is so hard to do - why can't the compass reading be proviede in a similar way as the reading from the acceleration sensors? Without compass api there can't be any fully useable map applications - i know, the gps can provide directions, but only when you move.
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 3:17 PM
  • i read this "being nearly ready, but not of a sufficient standard to be suitable for release" somewhere too. I am hoping, that the compass api will be included in the update, comming soon, but i don't think so. (because it was not anounced explicitly) :( I can't understand, why this is so hard to do - why can't the compass reading be proviede in a similar way as the reading from the acceleration sensors? Without compass api there can't be any fully useable map applications - i know, the gps can provide directions, but only when you move.

I totally agree with you ... so, let's hope for the best ;-)
    Saturday, February 5, 2011 3:42 PM
  • I want to reopen this thread. As I read the Mango Update makes Augmented Reality Apps possible.

So, I now have access to the compass API? thx

Edit: Just found this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.devices.sensors.compass(v=VS.92).aspx :)
    Sunday, June 19, 2011 2:10 PM