Selling MSRS Service's RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I’m new to the MSRS community; this is a very interesting and exciting place to be. I run a small company that develops software. This software is used to control electric motion systems. The motion systems are used to train pilots, race car drivers and are also used for entertainment rides. We have been watching and reading about MSRS for several months and recently completed a couple tests.

I'm a little confused at how our business model might work if using MSRS.

Question (1)

We do not develop or manufacture the hardware we develop the software that controls the hardware (kind of like Microsoft). I read the commercial agreement and understand that the runtime works out to about $2.00 per license but we are a little confused with the actual process of software distribution. Companies come to us and purchase the software to control their hardware. How would this work with Robotics Studio? Do our customers have to download a copy of MSRS and then install our Service?

Question (2)

The software we develop needs to leave a small footprint. Is it possible to run a MSRS Service along side a complicated resource demanding 3D simulation?

Regards,

Christian

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 1:21 PM

Answers

• Christian,

To answer your first question, your customers do not necessarily have to independently download MSRS. With a commercial license you get the right to redistribute the runtime files mentioned in the runtime.txt file as described in the commercial license [1]. The runtime distributable files cover the DLLs necessary for running services but do not include any of our authoring tools or the simulation engine.

If your product does not use the authoring tools or the simulation engine then the redistributable runtime files are all you need and your customers do not have to download MSRS independently if the runtime files are included with your product. However, if your product does require the authoring tools and/or the simulation engine then your customers will have to download MSRS separately.

As far as I understand your second question correctly the runtime files are fairly small both in terms of footprint on disk and also in memory. As such it should be possible to run along with other stuff without taking too many resources. Obviously it depends on the exact constraints which only actual testing can show.

I hope this clarifies things but if you have additional questions then please send mail to the msrslic@microsoft.com email alias and we would be happy to assist.

Thank you,

Henrik

[1] http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/robotics/bb332139.aspx

Thursday, November 1, 2007 7:10 PM

All replies

• Christian,

To answer your first question, your customers do not necessarily have to independently download MSRS. With a commercial license you get the right to redistribute the runtime files mentioned in the runtime.txt file as described in the commercial license [1]. The runtime distributable files cover the DLLs necessary for running services but do not include any of our authoring tools or the simulation engine.

If your product does not use the authoring tools or the simulation engine then the redistributable runtime files are all you need and your customers do not have to download MSRS independently if the runtime files are included with your product. However, if your product does require the authoring tools and/or the simulation engine then your customers will have to download MSRS separately.

As far as I understand your second question correctly the runtime files are fairly small both in terms of footprint on disk and also in memory. As such it should be possible to run along with other stuff without taking too many resources. Obviously it depends on the exact constraints which only actual testing can show.

I hope this clarifies things but if you have additional questions then please send mail to the msrslic@microsoft.com email alias and we would be happy to assist.

Thank you,

Henrik

[1] http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/robotics/bb332139.aspx

Thursday, November 1, 2007 7:10 PM
  • Henrik,

After reading your post I have a much better understanding of how distribution might work, thanks for the detailed post. After completing a few more tests we may start a port of our motion control code over to MSRS next week.

Christian

Saturday, November 3, 2007 4:18 AM