App package layout

Question

• I'm porting an existing game to Metro, and I'd like to be able to control where the various asset files end up in the final package. It looks as though this can be done using MakeAppX with a mapping file, but is it possible to do it through the VS IDE?

Monday, March 19, 2012 8:30 AM

Answers

• Does this answer your question James?

From the IDE, you can create new folders and add files to them. Include the files in the project. Make sure the files are marked as 'content' (right-click, properties on the file). These will be packaged into the Appx in the same folder structure. Is that what you had in mind or was it something else?

Note: There is a bug in the beta where .wav and .wma files marked as Item Type = Media don't get included in the package. That should be fixed in the next release.

-Steve

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:15 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You can create app package using Visual Studio.

Project->Store->Create App Package:
    And then follow the wizard to create a package.

For more information, please check this document
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh454036(v=vs.85).aspx

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:29 AM
  • Does this answer your question James?

From the IDE, you can create new folders and add files to them. Include the files in the project. Make sure the files are marked as 'content' (right-click, properties on the file). These will be packaged into the Appx in the same folder structure. Is that what you had in mind or was it something else?

Note: There is a bug in the beta where .wav and .wma files marked as Item Type = Media don't get included in the package. That should be fixed in the next release.

-Steve

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:15 AM
  • This seems to no longer be true.

I can create filters and directories in my Visual C++ 2012 project all I want, when I configure files as deployable content, they get written into the root AppX directory.

Proof: Create a new C++ Direct3D Metro application in Visual Studio 2012 RC. Move all Assets from the "Assets" directory into the project's root directory. Create a new directory on the file system level and a new filter in the project, move the shaders into the directory and filter. Deploy. The assets will still be deployed into a directory named "Assets" because that's how the app manifest references them and the shaders will still end up in the root AppX directory.

I have not found any workaround yet.

EDIT: I've submitted this as a bug to Microsoft Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/750918/appx-packager-flattens-my-directory-structure
    • Edited by Cygon4 Tuesday, June 26, 2012 2:05 PM Added link to Microsoft Connect entry
    Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:42 PM