none
MS Excel and Barcode Scanner RRS feed

• Question

• 

Good Morning, I'm trying to setup MS Excel to use with a barcode scanner (Motorola DS9208). The scanner reads barcodes that are 15 characters in length. The problem is that if I don't manually press enter each time a barcode is scanned, the barcodes will write to the same cell. How do I get it to automatically move to the next cell once a barcode is read(or 15 characters are entered)? For Example: A barcode is scanned into A2. I want it to automatically go to A3 so a new barcode can be scanned without have to manually press enter. Currently all barcodes will be scanned into the same exact cell if I don't press enter. Thank you for any help that y'all can provide.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:22 PM

Answers

• Hi JohnJay,

I suggest you try Worksheet_Change event to check whether it will fire when barcodes write to cells in excel. If it could fire, I suggest you try the code below:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    Target.Offset(1, 0).Select
    End Sub

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:00 AM
  • Hi JohnJay,

Have you tried my above suggestion?

Since this forum is used to discuss about Excel developing issue, if you have any issues about scanner settings, I suggest you connect scanner product sellers for help, they are more familiar with scanner product.

Best Regards,

Edward 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, May 13, 2016 7:50 AM

All replies

• Not an Excel problem. Find your scanner manual and make sure you set it up to add a CR after each scan OR include a CR in the bar code (first option is better for obvious reasons).

A scanner is just another keyboard so how it behaves is controlled by the scanner and its drivers.

HTH

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 3:53 PM
  • Hi JohnJay,

I suggest you try Worksheet_Change event to check whether it will fire when barcodes write to cells in excel. If it could fire, I suggest you try the code below:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    Target.Offset(1, 0).Select
    End Sub

Best Regards,

Edward

Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:00 AM
  • HTH,

I've been investigating the scanner settings as you mentioned, but there is little description for the settings with this scanner as to what the selection I'm looking for might be called.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 10:20 PM
  • Hi JohnJay,

Have you tried my above suggestion?

Since this forum is used to discuss about Excel developing issue, if you have any issues about scanner settings, I suggest you connect scanner product sellers for help, they are more familiar with scanner product.

Best Regards,

Edward 

Friday, May 13, 2016 7:50 AM