Running on VM server explorer can not find SQLEXPRESS RRS feed

• Question

• User-259260637 posted

I have a virtual machine in VMware fusion on a mac pro and I have installed vs2010 and when I go to server explorer to create a Database from the list there is no DB to choose from. I have tried to look for:

• SQLEXPRESS
    • .\SQLEXPRESS
    • MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS
    • the name of the WIN_36347674 which is next to the server on the windows server explorer tab

Has anybody any answers to why I cant find SQLEXPRESS or do I need to change the path to it somewhere?

Is there any other server option like localDB ?

Which would be my best option to get going... but i do have to put this on a sql server at the end of the project.

I didnt want to install SSMS and the full server as the project is only small ish.

Thanks

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:34 AM

Answers

• User-718146471 posted

You will at least need to install SQL Server on the server that you are trying to use. Just having a sql file generally isn't enough as I understand it; you still need a DB engine to handle  that SQL Server file.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:40 AM

All replies

• User-718146471 posted

You will at least need to install SQL Server on the server that you are trying to use. Just having a sql file generally isn't enough as I understand it; you still need a DB engine to handle  that SQL Server file.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:40 AM
  • User-259260637 posted

Does this not get installed with VS2010.

The service wasnt running on my list of running processes, it was disabled.

I enabled sql server from task manager running services and it works.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:58 AM
  • User-718146471 posted

It installs things that help it interact with SQL but you have to install an actual SQL Server. Any of the express versions will be just fine.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:03 AM